The Student Room Group

GCSE options

So, have any of y'all did geography or history for GCSE's and can give advice on what to pick then please do, i'm literally begging you bc im confused lol and getting anxious day by day, please help.
You haven't given us much information:
What do you want to do in the future?
Which subject do you prefer?
What things do you like about History and the same with Geography?
Original post by AmIReallyHere
You haven't given us much information:
What do you want to do in the future?
Which subject do you prefer?
What things do you like about History and the same with Geography?

Oh my bad, sorry! So i want to go into the medical field when i'm older, preferably becoming a dentist and etc., i prefer history because i find it most interesting but i get better grades in geography, for example since year 7 in history i've been getting 6's and nothing above whereas in geography i have been getting 7's and and 8 during year 8 and 9. Now i'm going into year 10 and just stressing! I just enjoy how History isn't boring at all but i find geography boring but i'm willing to change that- i just need help!
Original post by thatonegirllate
Oh my bad, sorry! So i want to go into the medical field when i'm older, preferably becoming a dentist and etc., i prefer history because i find it most interesting but i get better grades in geography, for example since year 7 in history i've been getting 6's and nothing above whereas in geography i have been getting 7's and and 8 during year 8 and 9. Now i'm going into year 10 and just stressing! I just enjoy how History isn't boring at all but i find geography boring but i'm willing to change that- i just need help!

Oh have you not done options yet, I'm Year 9 going into Year 10 too and we did them in March (and had the last half term to get started on GCSEs) askjsdfd - 6 is still an amazing GCSE grade, if you enjoy History I would definitely go for that - neither exactly have any leeway in the medical field so it doesn't really matter
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Oh have you not done options yet, I'm Year 9 going into Year 10 too and we did them in March (and had the last half term to get started on GCSEs) askjsdfd - 6 is still an amazing GCSE grade, if you enjoy History I would definitely go for that - neither exactly have any leeway in the medical field so it doesn't really matter

We've already done the options but i have a habit of regretting my decisions! thank you for your help though!
I did both history and geography for my gcses, and history was much more interesting for me but WAY WAY harder. I’m just warning you now, it is a very difficult subject. There’s SO much content to remember and it’s very heavy on the writing/essays etc. If you’re good at english then that’ll make it easier, but it’s a challenging subject regardless. My brain is more sciency though and I’ve always found english difficult so geography came more naturally to me, it might be different for you maybe, but I do think most people who did history would agree that it’s difficult. As I said though, history is way more interesting and geography is just kinda boring. But it’s way easier in my opinion. So at the end of the day, it comes down to whether you’d prefer to take an uninteresting subject that you can guarantee getting a decent grade in, or an interesting subject that is more difficult to do well in. Or if you’re not sure, you could just take both like me lol. Hope this helps.
Going into y13, same situation as you where I did way better in geo but found history more interesting. Trust me, chose geography. I went from joint best in class, to it being my worst gcse grade. Unless you have a good memory and need it for the future, chose the boring one, it'll save you stress.

Quick Reply

Latest