The Student Room Group

Should I quit playing video games

I have played games almost all my life but I am tempted to quit all together because gaming is having a bad impact on my depression.

I worry because it’s one of my main interests and I have that in common with a lot of people. (Making friendships for example)

I don’t know what to do for the best
Maybe take a break from gaming, focus on other hobbies and interests and see if that has any impact on your mood before deciding on giving it up for good.

I don't think you should give it up if that's how your making friends, just work on moderation and try to take breaks during long gaming sessions.
Why do you think it’s affecting your depression? Could you play different games? Story based ones (fire watch or life is strange) or more puzzle etc.

And get fresh air!
Take a break mate. Went through depression a couple years back and took a break from gaming myself. Your mental health should be your main focus for now. The vidya games ain't going anywhere :^_^:
Video games and social media are hard to cut out. Start by playing once a week on a specific day. Avoid time limits, it's not that effective.
Reply 5
Video games are made these days to be addictive so you play more and spend money aka transactions so i think it would be a good idea to try and reduce you play time and avoid games that are time sinks at least such as games which use live service models however completely cutting games out is like saying no one should drink alcohol because its addictive like yes it is but make sure you play video games in moderation. Also a lot of this comes from personal experience it isn't some anti video game person spewing video game bad.
Reply 6
When I tried quitting cause I used to be addicted to too and I had friends on there that I used to play with all day and I had to leave them so I could focus on my actual work (gym,school, etc) and just life in general, setting time limits or days of the week to play never worked for me, id just end up playing again. For me it was either I stop completely or i’ll never stop being addicted, and I think you should do the same, just unplug ur console and throw it on top of a cupboard or keep it in ur garage and just don’t touch it for a month, you’ll realize how much more time you have to be productive or just how ur life just changed in general, just give it a month!
I mean this COVID making everybody playing videos games like online ones so they can have someone to talk to not all games are bad some people make friends online games or they need someone to talk to there’s no bad or good in video games it’s social that counts
Original post by Jxke1
I have played games almost all my life but I am tempted to quit all together because gaming is having a bad impact on my depression.

I worry because it’s one of my main interests and I have that in common with a lot of people. (Making friendships for example)

Just reduce how much you game and replace that time with something else if you feel you're playing too much. :smile:
Don't play videogames, if you have no fun with it. Take a break and thinking about this step of your own again!
I love gaming as well and get how it impacts depression. I think gaming gives us an excuse to withdraw and stay indoors and kind of adds to the whole social isolation thing. If you can game in moderation and spend time doing other things that make you feel better, then you might be able to enjoy both sides of it. Try going outdoors, getting exercise, and deep cleaning the room you game in and it might make you feel better.
If it isn’t fun, then you should stop for sure until you find it enjoyable again.

I haven’t played a video game for 3 months, and even when I did my Mum didn’t like me playing with my friends so I could never enjoy playing online like most other people, especially since it was only for an hour on the weekend…

Now no TV, no games, nothing.
(edited 2 years ago)
I have had pretty bad depression and video games only really helped IF I was talking to my friends when gaming.

Depression is a state of mind to tell you that your life is ****.
And spending hours every day on video games isnt going to help that depressive state, I argued it will worsen it as you are ignoring real life.
Depression is telling you that your life is *****y well becuase you spend to much time doing nothing day in and day out...

So yes, definately take a break/quit video games, get your life sorted out and you will find out that your depressive mood will dwindle without medication...
Reply 13
Original post by Jxke1

It would be best to take a break and go out and try new activities. I recently started uni and didn't bring my PC and am currently trying to meet new people. It has helped with my anxiety a lot.
Reply 14
Original post by Jxke1

If it's one of your main interests, then you shouldn't fully stop. Maybe just take a break and try out new things for a while.

Quick Reply

Latest