The Student Room Group

Explain how greenhouse gases contribute to the greenhouse effect

Plz someone help me with this question

Explain how greenhouse gases contribute to the greenhouse effect, use the following terms: UV radiation, infra-red radiation, absorbed, reradiated, greenhouse gases, Earth’s surface, escape

Btw I am not sure how this web works this is my first time
Use your notes as a source of fodder and research the topic too. Make a list of things to cover in your assignment or essay.
Original post by cherryhitchkins
Plz someone help me with this question

Explain how greenhouse gases contribute to the greenhouse effect, use the following terms: UV radiation, infra-red radiation, absorbed, reradiated, greenhouse gases, Earth’s surface, escape

Btw I am not sure how this web works this is my first time

To be honest the core principles of the greenhouse effect are pretty simple and your assignment has given you the key words so you just need the context and link everything together.

I wont be doing your homework for you, but 5 minutes on google and it should be easy to do.
Original post by tinygirl96
Use your notes as a source of fodder and research the topic too. Make a list of things to cover in your assignment or essay.

This is y13 work which we havent done yet
Original post by mnot
To be honest the core principles of the greenhouse effect are pretty simple and your assignment has given you the key words so you just need the context and link everything together.

I wont be doing your homework for you, but 5 minutes on google and it should be easy to do.

What is the question actually asking?
Can you re-word the question for me, please
What is the question actually asking?
Can you re-word the question for me, please

Explain how greenhouse gases contribute to the greenhouse effect,

The instructions seem pretty clear but some things to ask yourself:
What are GHGs, what do they interact with in the atmosphere.

Honestly google will literally give you the answer.
Original post by mnot
Explain how greenhouse gases contribute to the greenhouse effect,

The instructions seem pretty clear but some things to ask yourself:
What are GHGs, what do they interact with in the atmosphere.

Honestly google will literally give you the answer.

Even if I did type question on google idk how to use all the words given
(edited 2 years ago)
I dont understand what it is saying

Im not sure it can be broken down much simpler tbh. It’s very clear what it’s expecting.
Reply 8
I dont understand what it is saying

well... any particular word in there unfamiliar to you?

(also I've moved this thread to the physics forum)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
well... any particular word in there unfamiliar to you?

(also I've moved this thread to the physics forum)

I put this: Visible light travels from the Sun to the Earth's surface, mostly passing through our greenhouse gases. The visible light is absorbed by the Earth's surface, causing the surface to heat up. The warm surface of the Earth gives off infrared waves. Greenhouse gases block many of these infrared waves, keeping them inside our atmosphere and heating up the Earth.

First of all Idk if what I put is correct in the first place
Secondly I find it hard to use all the words given in the question to write an answer. I tried my best to connect them all together. There is still like 2-3 words I havent used
(edited 2 years ago)
I put this: Visible light travels from the Sun to the Earth's surface, mostly passing through our greenhouse gases. The visible light is absorbed by the Earth's surface, causing the surface to heat up. The warm surface of the Earth gives off infrared waves. Greenhouse gases block many of these infrared waves, keeping them inside our atmosphere and heating up the Earth.

First of all Idk if what I put is correct in the first place
Secondly I find it hard to use all the words given in the question to write an answer

It’s loosely correct.

Their is more detail you could expand onto.
-the sun emits a spectrum of waves which includes IR & visible light
-some of this deflects away from earth
-GHGs absorb the inbound energy then re-emit this in all directions including back towards the earth
-IR radiation that is rebounded from earths surface and interacts with GHGs is also subject to being absorbed and reemitted in all directions including back to the earth.

Id tighten up the language and make it more detail focused, for example: “our greenhouse gases” could become “greenhouse gases in the earths atmosphere”.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
It’s loosely correct.

Their is more detail you could expand onto.
-the sun emits a spectrum of waves which includes IR & visible light
-some of this deflects away from earth
-GHGs absorb the inbound energy then re-emit this in all directions including back towards the earth
-IR radiation that is rebounded from earths surface and interacts with GHGs is also subject to being absorbed and reemitted in all directions including back to the earth.

Id tighten up the language and make it more detail focused, for example: “our greenhouse gases” could become “greenhouse gases in the earths atmosphere”.

ty ty tyyyy

Quick Reply

Latest