The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Wildlife Ecology and conservation science UWE 2023

Hi
I've been offered a place on the wildlife ecology and conservation science course. I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about the course or was already doing it. Do you enjoy it and would you recommend it, and what are the facilities like as I can't find much online?

Also if anybody else is considering doing the same course lmk :smile:
Hi! I'm on this course, currently in my second year. I would definitely recommend it, although of course it depends on what you want from the course/what you're aiming for in the future. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer!
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Sorry, it won't let me direct message you to answer your questions so I'll post it here:

I tend to be in for lectures/practicals about 3 days a week, occasionally 2 or 4 day weeks. Lectures are recorded but I find you get more from them if you go in person. Practicals are a mix of lab and field work. In terms of assessment it's mostly coursework based, I've only had 3 exams this year (1 January, 2 May), think I had 4 last year. Its less teaching intense than some of my friends courses but you still need to make sure you stay on top of lectures and coursework. Since there is quite a bit of coursework it's easy to get overwhelmed if you leave it till the last minute. There's about 80-100 people on the course I think, although in your first year you have a lot of combined lectures with environmental science so there will be a lot more people in your lectures. For ages, most people had come straight from college or taken one year out. There is quite a few older students too tho mostly in their 30's. Everyone mostly gets along regardless of age though, I guess because we all have shared interests
Reply 3
Original post by Maddy1104
Sorry, it won't let me direct message you to answer your questions so I'll post it here:

I tend to be in for lectures/practicals about 3 days a week, occasionally 2 or 4 day weeks. Lectures are recorded but I find you get more from them if you go in person. Practicals are a mix of lab and field work. In terms of assessment it's mostly coursework based, I've only had 3 exams this year (1 January, 2 May), think I had 4 last year. Its less teaching intense than some of my friends courses but you still need to make sure you stay on top of lectures and coursework. Since there is quite a bit of coursework it's easy to get overwhelmed if you leave it till the last minute. There's about 80-100 people on the course I think, although in your first year you have a lot of combined lectures with environmental science so there will be a lot more people in your lectures. For ages, most people had come straight from college or taken one year out. There is quite a few older students too tho mostly in their 30's. Everyone mostly gets along regardless of age though, I guess because we all have shared interests

Thank you so much for the info :smile:
Original post by S29027
Hi
I've been offered a place on the wildlife ecology and conservation science course. I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about the course or was already doing it. Do you enjoy it and would you recommend it, and what are the facilities like as I can't find much online?

Also if anybody else is considering doing the same course lmk :smile:

Hi S29027,

Thank you for reaching out.

Here is a link that will give you all the info you should need on the course - https://courses.uwe.ac.uk/45MN/wildlife-ecology-and-conservation-science, if you have any further questions please feel free to message the programme leader whose details are featured on this webpage.

The programme leader of this course, Dr Paul Lintott, co-leads the Ecology & Conservation Research Lab (conservationresearchuwe.co.uk) through which a variety of research is conducted in the broad theme of Global Environmental Change (GEC).

Students have worked with organisations including the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML), Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Bristol Natural History Consortium, National Trust, ARKive and Kew Gardens.

It is accredited by the institution of environmental sciences - https://www.the-ies.org/

Here is a look at some of the facilities the course has to offer - https://virtualtour.uwe.ac.uk/explore/environmental-science/environmental-science/envirotron-greenhouse

I hope this helps.

Any further questions please do get in touch.

Many Thanks.

Martin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending