The Student Room Group

Taking a year out after uni ?

I graduated highschool this year and applied for a deferred entry to study Biomedical Science in 2022, so I have a place at uni. I've always wanted to travel and work in other places before going to uni or before getting a full time proper job. My question is if it's a good idea to take a year out after graduating uni ? I'm equally scared of 3 things;
1 taking a 2nd year out before uni and losing my ability to study and my will to go to university, as well as being older than the other freshers
2 going straight into a full time job right after graduation and getting stuck in that job forever and never being able to travel
3 taking a year out after uni and coming back to having no connections or job opportunities when I need to settle and find work

I'm wondering if it would be better for me to take another year out now, to get all of the travelling and volunteering etc out of my system (and possibly lose my interest in studying altogether), or waiting until after I finish uni (which could risk me losing any job or post grad opportunities I might get after graduating). I'd love to hear from people who have also done biomed or similar life sciences to see what job opportunities are like post-grad and if it would be a really bad idea to disappear for a year or two before getting a proper job. Thank you !!
Hi. I know a lot of people that I went to school with not going to university straight away and are doing a gap year instead. I'm doing another year at college before I go to university in 2022. My cousin taken a gap year before they started university and they loved it, they did not mind being one of the oldest because they got to go and travel. They said that it did not stop them from getting a full time job or the lose of studying.
Original post by searobin
I graduated highschool this year and applied for a deferred entry to study Biomedical Science in 2022, so I have a place at uni. I've always wanted to travel and work in other places before going to uni or before getting a full time proper job. My question is if it's a good idea to take a year out after graduating uni ? I'm equally scared of 3 things;
1 taking a 2nd year out before uni and losing my ability to study and my will to go to university, as well as being older than the other freshers
2 going straight into a full time job right after graduation and getting stuck in that job forever and never being able to travel
3 taking a year out after uni and coming back to having no connections or job opportunities when I need to settle and find work

I'm wondering if it would be better for me to take another year out now, to get all of the travelling and volunteering etc out of my system (and possibly lose my interest in studying altogether), or waiting until after I finish uni (which could risk me losing any job or post grad opportunities I might get after graduating). I'd love to hear from people who have also done biomed or similar life sciences to see what job opportunities are like post-grad and if it would be a really bad idea to disappear for a year or two before getting a proper job. Thank you !!

Hey @searobin,

Disappearing for a year or two to do your own thing is probably one of the best times you will give yourself. Use the advantage of being young and free to travel, world and get some real-world life experiences under your belt and out of your system before going to uni. The memories you make of travelling, working and volunteering are unforgettable and it's a chance to make lifelong friends because you're travelling. Also, because you don't have a lot of responsibilities at that point either. Make the most of what you have now because uni will always be there. Even if you lose your place you can reapply, but you won't always have the time to travel and work. Ultimately, everyone is living their own lives after school finishes and the feeling of being left behind is temporary when you realise everyone's a little lost trying to find their own way. What's important is that you do what works for you.

Also, another advantage of travelling and working and then going to uni is that you'll have things a bit more "put together". By that I mean you'll have your priorities a bit more in order, you know what you want and you're getting on with things that are coming your way because you've had your fun. You learn to better adapt to situations and become more flexible when you need to be. So, it doesn't matter if you're a bit older than your freshers, it may be the freshers are envious of your travels ask you about your experiences!

Even if you choose to time off after uni, you're not going to be behind everyone else and feeling the rush to settle with employment and find connections. There will be jobs wherever you go. Perhaps you decide to emigrate and find a graduate position there. Either way, things will work out eventually. If you find that after finishing your degree, it's not an area you want to go into, then going travelling and working is better for you.

I took a gap year prior to uni and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I even changed my course during my gap year too! I was a lot more laid back at uni, was more independent and got on with doing my own thing than following the crowd. I now have more of a mindset of wanting to work after I finish uni than go travelling and working because I did all that before I went to uni.

I hope this is insightful!

Veronica
Student Ambassador
Original post by searobin

Hi searobin

You are certainly not going to be older than the "other freshers", over a third of all undergraduates are "mature" when they start their first degree, and speaking as an extra mature student (58 and counting!).

I think Veronica has given you some good advice, so I won't comment further.

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey @searobin,

Disappearing for a year or two to do your own thing is probably one of the best times you will give yourself. Use the advantage of being young and free to travel, world and get some real-world life experiences under your belt and out of your system before going to uni. The memories you make of travelling, working and volunteering are unforgettable and it's a chance to make lifelong friends because you're travelling. Also, because you don't have a lot of responsibilities at that point either. Make the most of what you have now because uni will always be there. Even if you lose your place you can reapply, but you won't always have the time to travel and work. Ultimately, everyone is living their own lives after school finishes and the feeling of being left behind is temporary when you realise everyone's a little lost trying to find their own way. What's important is that you do what works for you.

Also, another advantage of travelling and working and then going to uni is that you'll have things a bit more "put together". By that I mean you'll have your priorities a bit more in order, you know what you want and you're getting on with things that are coming your way because you've had your fun. You learn to better adapt to situations and become more flexible when you need to be. So, it doesn't matter if you're a bit older than your freshers, it may be the freshers are envious of your travels ask you about your experiences!

Even if you choose to time off after uni, you're not going to be behind everyone else and feeling the rush to settle with employment and find connections. There will be jobs wherever you go. Perhaps you decide to emigrate and find a graduate position there. Either way, things will work out eventually. If you find that after finishing your degree, it's not an area you want to go into, then going travelling and working is better for you.

I took a gap year prior to uni and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I even changed my course during my gap year too! I was a lot more laid back at uni, was more independent and got on with doing my own thing than following the crowd. I now have more of a mindset of wanting to work after I finish uni than go travelling and working because I did all that before I went to uni.

I hope this is insightful!

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Thank you for the insight ! I find it settling to read this and everything you said makes sense to me, thanks !!
Reply 5
100% do it after uni. Once you get a job you'll find commitments creep up on you and you'll never been able to get away for any length of time again. I went away for 18 months after uni and wish I could do it all again!

Quick Reply

Latest