The Student Room Group

How do I get into a good university?

I wasn’t ever planning to go to uni throughout my entire life especially during my time in college and decided to just about pass 2 irrelevant alevel subjects (which I chose out of enjoyment instead of picking flexible subjects to help me with uni) and one AS subject but 4 years have passed now and I’ve changed my mind about attending uni. After looking at various courses within the field of law, psychology, business or humanities in general I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s no way I can get into uni in general especially for the year of 2024. I’ve tried to look at ways to pay for alevels but it’s only giving me the option to redo alevels instead of fresh subjects? Does anyone have any advice. I’m not trying to find a fast route to uni, just feel like I’ve wasted 4 years trying to figure my life out only to realise I need to take the path of uni for certain careers that I want to pursue. I’m down to pay however much and put in the work but I really would like to get into a good uni for 2024 instead of wasting another year
Reply 1
Have you looked into foundation years? They will be much more flexible about entry requirements and depending on what the course is and where you’re looking a lot of them allow you to progress to the degree programme if you pass the foundation year.
Original post by Anonymous
I wasn’t ever planning to go to uni throughout my entire life especially during my time in college and decided to just about pass 2 irrelevant alevel subjects (which I chose out of enjoyment instead of picking flexible subjects to help me with uni) and one AS subject but 4 years have passed now and I’ve changed my mind about attending uni. After looking at various courses within the field of law, psychology, business or humanities in general I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s no way I can get into uni in general especially for the year of 2024. I’ve tried to look at ways to pay for alevels but it’s only giving me the option to redo alevels instead of fresh subjects? Does anyone have any advice. I’m not trying to find a fast route to uni, just feel like I’ve wasted 4 years trying to figure my life out only to realise I need to take the path of uni for certain careers that I want to pursue. I’m down to pay however much and put in the work but I really would like to get into a good uni for 2024 instead of wasting another year

Access to Higher Education course?
Reply 3
Original post by eeeli
Have you looked into foundation years? They will be much more flexible about entry requirements and depending on what the course is and where you’re looking a lot of them allow you to progress to the degree programme if you pass the foundation year.

Is a foundation year equivalent to alevels? And can I transfer to a different university after I’ve finished the course or will I only get the chance to remain in the same uni?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Access to Higher Education course?

When I was reading about that option it mentioned that I need to enroll in a college but I thought i would just have to pay for the 2024 exams in a test centre and revise myself
When I was reading about that option it mentioned that I need to enroll in a college but I thought i would just have to pay for the 2024 exams in a test centre and revise myself

That's also an option.
Reply 6
Is a foundation year equivalent to alevels? And can I transfer to a different university after I’ve finished the course or will I only get the chance to remain in the same uni?

It depends on the course, but I think on the whole they tend to be linked to progression to the relevant course at that specific uni. Lots of universities, including Russell Groups (and even Oxbridge!) have foundation years now. The eligibility requirements tend to vary quite a lot between courses and unis so it may take a bit of research but if your goal is to be at uni sooner rather than later it may be worth considering! I don’t think they are an equivalent to A-levels in the sense that you wouldn’t come out with grades like that and I’m not sure if all of them exist as standalone qualifications - I think they tend to be a stepping stone to a particular degree course rather than a qualification in their own right. But I didn’t do a foundation year so I suggest doing your own research to work out if it could be the right option for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending