The Student Room Group

Uni Foundation Year

Hi, so I’m basically dropping out after foundation year. I was wondering if you get any UCAS points for the completion of year 0?
Also, what happens if I fail a module on year 0 and leave uni after it, do I still get like a certification or something? I don’t get it
Original post by aqualilith
Hi, so I’m basically dropping out after foundation year. I was wondering if you get any UCAS points for the completion of year 0?
Also, what happens if I fail a module on year 0 and leave uni after it, do I still get like a certification or something? I don’t get it

Leaving without having gained all the credits for your foundation year is unlikely to earn you anything in terms of a certificate or UCAS points.

However, many universities allow you to fail a module and still gain the credits for it. It's called "condonement", and will likely depend on whether or not it was a core module, how many credits it was worth, and how your other modules went.

The exact rules will vary from uni to uni. What uni are you at? If you can get the module condoned, you might get an award of some kind, which might have associated UCAS points.

Why are you dropping out, by the way? (I assume it's not just because of one failed module.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Leaving without having gained all the credits for your foundation year is unlikely to earn you anything in terms of a certificate or UCAS points.

However, many universities allow you to fail a module and still gain the credits for it. It's called "condonement", and will likely depend on whether or not it was a core module, how many credits it was worth, and how your other modules went.

The exact rules will vary from uni to uni. What uni are you at? If you can get the module condoned, you might get an award of some kind, which might have associated UCAS points.

Why are you dropping out, by the way? (I assume it's not just because of one failed module.)

Thanks for replyingggg,

I will look into it but hopefully I won’t fail the module, still not sure as I will be repeating the exam tomorrow. Currently I study at Goldsmiths.

I’m actually changing degrees (psychology to fashion design), but I’m taking a gap year to work on my portfolio. I did fashion in college and I regret taking psychology smmm, it is not what I expected 🙃
Original post by aqualilith
Thanks for replyingggg,

I will look into it but hopefully I won’t fail the module, still not sure as I will be repeating the exam tomorrow. Currently I study at Goldsmiths.

I’m actually changing degrees (psychology to fashion design), but I’m taking a gap year to work on my portfolio. I did fashion in college and I regret taking psychology smmm, it is not what I expected 🙃

Psychology to Fashion Design - that's quite a switch. :smile:

If you were to complete the foundation year (i.e. obtain all 120 credits), Goldsmiths would award you a Foundation Certificate. Unfortunately, there are no UCAS points associated with it. But it's not nothing.

Good luck in your exam retake tomorrow! :crossedf:
So are you saying you don’t get any UCAS points for a foundation year?
Original post by unknownJ12
So are you saying you don’t get any UCAS points for a foundation year?

Correct.

In fact, generally speaking, a foundation year provides entry to the "regular" undergraduate degree at the same university only and cannot be used as a qualification in its own right to apply elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending