The Student Room Group

How to be a more vocal sports player?

So recently I've started playing sports (rugby) at uni. My actual skills are pretty good but one thing coaches and other players have told me is that I need to be more vocal. The problem is, I'm a pretty shy introvert and don't have the confidence to boss around players with more experience than me. It's holding my game back and I'm not sure what to do about it. It's not as easy as saying "just shout more", the trouble is I don't know what and when to shout. I tend to only speak up when I have something important to say.
U have to build ur general confidence out of sport then apply it steadily to sport
Reply 2
Why don’t you just challenge yourself to say at least one thing per session and you’ll eventually just get more comfortable doing it.
Original post by anonomousposter
So recently I've started playing sports (rugby) at uni. My actual skills are pretty good but one thing coaches and other players have told me is that I need to be more vocal. The problem is, I'm a pretty shy introvert and don't have the confidence to boss around players with more experience than me. It's holding my game back and I'm not sure what to do about it. It's not as easy as saying "just shout more", the trouble is I don't know what and when to shout. I tend to only speak up when I have something important to say.

You have to communicate off the ball, you’ll just have to grow a pair and do it.

An example if on the blind side at a defensive breakdown the first tackler is a quicker player in the backs and a prop is in the second tackle slot, shout at him to change around. Simple things like this.

You have to shout, people are too focused on the game to listen to anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest