The Student Room Group

Should I join the Volleyball society at Uni?

Hello,
I’m planning to go to UoM this year (still have to wait for my results) and was thinking of potential societies to join.
I’ve always liked volleyball and played for a couple of years in 2 teams, so I know the rules and the basics, but I’m not exactly the best. However I haven’t played much since A-levels and I’m afraid I’ve gotten rusty :smile: so I wanted to ask about the skill required to join the volleyball society.
Do you need very good skills to be part of the society, or would I still be accepted either way, as long as I’m interested in joining in?

Those who are part of this society, I’m curious of hearing about the experience within it, if you’re able to share it with me :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,
I’m planning to go to UoM this year (still have to wait for my results) and was thinking of potential societies to join.
I’ve always liked volleyball and played for a couple of years in 2 teams, so I know the rules and the basics, but I’m not exactly the best. However I haven’t played much since A-levels and I’m afraid I’ve gotten rusty :smile: so I wanted to ask about the skill required to join the volleyball society.
Do you need very good skills to be part of the society, or would I still be accepted either way, as long as I’m interested in joining in?

Those who are part of this society, I’m curious of hearing about the experience within it, if you’re able to share it with me :smile:

I joined my volleyball club when I was at uni (although I didn't went to UoM). Strictly speaking, all the sports clubs at the universities should cater to all students of all abilities (in the US, they're pickier and have stricter entry requirements), so you would be accepted either way so long you're interested.

The aim of the uni sport clubs is prioritising enjoyment of the sport and having fun.

After joining the club, it depends on how far you want to take it. Some people are casual about it so they don't really progress further than the beginner's level. Some are more serious and tend to dedicate more time practicing and go for practice sessions with the more senior members.

For serious competitions and matches, the more advanced players would be entered. This is where the club would get picky about who enters the team. For friendly compeitions and matches, it doesn't matter as much but it's often those who have a bit of experience who enter.

As well as practice sessions and matches, you can sometimes go on socials with other members of the clubs. Pub crawls and nights out tend to be a favourite amongst clubs. It's a great way to make new friends, and some friends are for life (literally; I know several couples who met through the club and they are now married with kids - many of the friends I made I am still in contact now even if we're continents apart).

I don't know how UoM does things, but joinging the volleyball club at my uni was one of the best choices I made. I would recommend it.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

Hi there :biggrin:

Joining a society can be a great way to develop a skill and meet new people. For most if not all societies there will always be an option to play the sport socially so please don't worry about being good. Many people who join the society will likely have not played volleyball before. You can always go to the taster sessions and see if it's something you think that you would like. The worst that can happen is you don't love the session and don't go again. You can always choose a different society to try. Hope this helps

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending