The Student Room Group

Preallocation to a competitive deanery

This is going to be such a silly question but its been nagging me so bear with me pls.

I have circumstances that means I may be preallocated to the *most* competitive deanery.
Only thing is, I know most of my fellow junior drs will have been top of their class to be there and I, as a very average ex-student, worry that I will be shown up and this is already giving fuel to my imposter syndrome. What if consultants don't bear with me as much as they feel like I’m incompetent? What if my consultants are like world renowned in their fields and they become disgusted with my mediocrity??
Outside of this, I know I am a kind, well rounded individual and that my pts will love me (hopefully) but I don't want to be shown up on the ward round.
Does that make sense?

So silly in the grand scheme of things-I know! But some thoughts would be appreciated esp from those of you who have actually worked in the inner London hospitals.
Is this a joke? ... fml
Original post by Anonymous
This is going to be such a silly question but its been nagging me so bear with me pls.

I have circumstances that means I may be preallocated to the *most* competitive deanery.
Only thing is, I know most of my fellow junior drs will have been top of their class to be there and I, as a very average ex-student, worry that I will be shown up and this is already giving fuel to my imposter syndrome. What if consultants don't bear with me as much as they feel like I’m incompetent? What if my consultants are like world renowned in their fields and they become disgusted with my mediocrity??
Outside of this, I know I am a kind, well rounded individual and that my pts will love me (hopefully) but I don't want to be shown up on the ward round.
Does that make sense?

So silly in the grand scheme of things-I know! But some thoughts would be appreciated esp from those of you who have actually worked in the inner London hospitals.

You will be fine. Pre-allocation is about supporting foundation docs to have their best start and best shot of doing foundation. It happens because you deserve it.
All doctors - med students that graduate- have the capacity to flourish in foundation. You will fit in and be fine. No worry is required.
Being a good doctor is not a linear function of your class rank. A big chunk of success in FY1 is dependent on your ability to type fast and be a computer whisperer, and possibly not to lose your cool when you're under stress. In every deanery there will be people who can do this better or worse but all in all a job of a foundation doctor is not that intellectually challenging and most people cope with it just fine.
To get pre-allocated you need really specific circumstances, and if you do have them - you probably require some extra support that can only be obtained in that deanery, so go for it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Does that make sense?

You're definitely overthinking this. It'll be fine - really :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending