The Student Room Group

Emailing Oxford?

My GCSEs are not exactly Oxford standard and my A-Levels are not a reflection of my ability as they were assigned to me as opposed to achieved. Resitting would mean the earliest that I would be able to attend any University (if at all) would be in 2023 and the cost in terms of money but, more importantly time combined with the fact that a resit may become an impediment, in terms of application, makes it all seem quite pointless. It would be a very costly exercise in futility that I will avoid if I can. There are extenuating circumstances for my A-level centre assessed grades and also for my GCSE's but I needn't mention the GCSE situation becuase I don't think it'a as relevant. I score well on the TSA and was wondering if it's worth applying but I'm really not sure becuase of the trainwreck that is my academic profile. Should I contact somone at Oxford for adivce? I've been told to do that but I really don't want to bother them with my idiotc overambition which I'm guessing will be met with a more formal version of 'Are you serious?'.Anyway, let me know what you think.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Xiphos
My GCSEs are not exactly Oxford standard and my A-Levels are not a reflection of my ability as they were assigned to me as opposed to achieved. Resitting would mean the earliest that I would be able to attend any University (if at all) would be in 2023 and the cost in terms of money but, more importantly time combined with the fact that a resit may become an impediment, in terms of application, makes it all seem quite pointless. It would be a very costly exercise in futility that I will avoid if I can. There are extenuating circumstances for my A-level centre assessed grades and also for my GCSE's but I needn't mention the GCSE situation becuase I don't think it'a as relevant. I score well on the TSA and was wondering if it's worth applying but I'm really not sure becuase of the trainwreck that is my academic profile. Should I contact somone at Oxford for adivce? I've been told to do that but I really don't want to bother them with my idiotc overambition which I'm guessing will be met with a more formal version of 'Are you serious?'.Anyway, let me know what you think.

What are your grades (GCSE and A level) and what subject would you be applying for? These are very important details haha
Reply 2
Original post by Culver
What are your grades (GCSE and A level) and what subject would you be applying for? These are very important details haha

A*ABBBBBCC BBD Embarrassing, I know.
Reply 3
Original post by Xiphos

And what subject?
Reply 4
Original post by Xiphos

Oxford is made up of human beings. I say email them and explain your situation. I'm sure they can give you some insight into whether or not resitting is worthwhile for an application to Oxford.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Culver
And what subject?

PPE
Reply 6
I mean it wouldn’t hurt to contact a college, but I imagine they might tell you something to the effect of “competition places at Oxford is very intense etc etc”

My honest opinion, which you don’t have to take with huge weight if you don’t want to, is that if you’re not willing to take a year out to rectify these grades then it might be worth applying elsewhere. Your GCSEs, whilst not horrible, are quite below average for Oxford and your A-levels are well below the requirement. Extenuating circumstances are relevant but admissions tutors may want some more confidence in your academic ability. I myself had extenuating circumstances (missed most of year 12 due to illness and severe covid disruption during year 13) and only had a few months to sit my A-levels rather than the 2 years. In my October exams I got A*AA and I think this ultimately worked in my favour.

To be clear, sitting exams (ie the October series) to rectify assessed grades are not considered resits by most universities (I’m yet to see a university that views them this way) If you’re serious about going to a good university, I would urge you to consider sitting A-levels.
Reply 7
Original post by iSophist
Oxford is made up of human beings. I say email them and explain your situation. I'm sure they can give you some insight into whether or not resitting is worthwhile for an application to Oxford.

What I would like to know is whether an application to Oxford would be worth trying. I think that I know the answer but, I felt asking couldn't hurt.
Reply 8
Original post by Xiphos
PPE

I see! PPE is a hugely competitive subject, and it’s unlikely that you’d get in with much under straight As and A*s at both GCSE and A level. Unfortunately it would be completely impossible with your current grades no matter what you’d get in the TSA :frown:

I feel the only way you’d get in is through retaking all of your A levels and some of your GCSEs to improve them a little, and then, with the extenuating circumstances you mention, perhaps you could look into one of the foundation courses or apply. Ambition is great, don’t get me wrong!! However I don’t think Oxford would tell you much different unless you’re willing to retake.
Original post by Xiphos
What I would like to know is whether an application to Oxford would be worth trying. I think that I know the answer but, I felt asking couldn't hurt.

Realistically, Oxford is not on the table. Your GCSEs & A-levels don’t cut the mustard, & it’s not close.

I would look at avenues which are viable for undergraduate study, everyone gets hung up on where they study, when what you achieve at university is far more important then where you go.
Reply 10
Original post by mnot
Realistically, Oxford is not on the table. Your GCSEs & A-levels don’t cut the mustard, & it’s not close.

I would look at avenues which are viable for undergraduate study, everyone gets hung up on where they study, when what you achieve at university is far more important then where you go.

Very true! If you work hard to get a first on your degree it doesn’t matter so much where you go. Degrees from most English unis are accepted and respected these days.
Reply 11
Original post by Mikos
I mean it wouldn’t hurt to contact a college, but I imagine they might tell you something to the effect of “competition places at Oxford is very intense etc etc”

My honest opinion, which you don’t have to take with huge weight if you don’t want to, is that if you’re not willing to take a year out to rectify these grades then it might be worth applying elsewhere. Your GCSEs, whilst not horrible, are quite below average for Oxford and your A-levels are well below the requirement. Extenuating circumstances are relevant but admissions tutors may want some more confidence in your academic ability. I myself had extenuating circumstances (missed most of year 12 due to illness and severe covid disruption during year 13) and only had a few months to sit my A-levels rather than the 2 years. In my October exams I got A*AA and I think this ultimately worked in my favour.

To be clear, sitting exams (ie the October series) to rectify assessed grades are not considered resits by most universities (I’m yet to see a university that views them this way) If you’re serious about going to a good university, I would urge you to consider sitting A-levels.

I can't resit in October because of my current circumstance which means that the earliest I could resit would be in summer and I wouldn't have predicted grades from my centre so my BBD would be used anyway and I wouldn't even get an interview in 2022. That means that October 2022 would be the earliest that I could apply for admission in September 2023. This is a lot of time for me that I feel would be wasted.
Reply 12
Original post by mnot

The appeal for me was more the course in combination with the tutorial system, I do not care about what the university is called. I am yet to find another with a comparable tutorial system. It will just have to be something that did not happen in life.
Reply 13
Original post by Xiphos
I can't resit in October because of my current circumstance which means that the earliest I could resit would be in summer and I wouldn't have predicted grades from my centre so my BBD would be used anyway and I wouldn't even get an interview in 2022. That means that October 2022 would be the earliest that I could apply for admission in September 2023. This is a lot of time for me that I feel would be wasted.

There are plenty of centres (ie a college in your city) that will give you predictions and ultimately allow you to sit exams. Therefore you’re much more likely to only have to do a year.

Two personal opinions of mine: 1) a year in the grand scheme of things is nothing and a year out can be a good opportunity to gain valuable experience. On top of this, the A-level grades you get and the university you go to is something that can have a tangible impact on job prospects. 2) not everyone needs to go to Oxbridge. I’m at Cambridge myself and do a lot of outreach/access work and often I find people who may want to go, but will find that they are simply outcompeted (no shame in this at all) or that it ultimately wouldn’t be a good environment for them anyway. Oxbridge is not the be all end all. With all that in mind I would think about improving your grades and looking elsewhere.
Original post by Xiphos

Sorry, but there's no point in applying, IMO.

Go somewhere else, show what you can do, and consider Oxford for post-grad. if you still want to. Good luck.
Reply 15
Original post by Culver
I see! PPE is a hugely competitive subject, and it’s unlikely that you’d get in with much under straight As and A*s at both GCSE and A level. Unfortunately it would be completely impossible with your current grades no matter what you’d get in the TSA :frown:

I feel the only way you’d get in is through retaking all of your A levels and some of your GCSEs to improve them a little, and then, with the extenuating circumstances you mention, perhaps you could look into one of the foundation courses or apply. Ambition is great, don’t get me wrong!! However I don’t think Oxford would tell you much different unless you’re willing to retake.

I have heard admissions tutors and students say things along the lines of 'Oxford looks for the potential in candidates' or the 'raw material' so to speak. I don't think that my academic profile represents my ability and if this idea of valuing 'potential' is true then does the TSA score still mean nothing?
Reply 16
Original post by Mikos
There are plenty of centres (ie a college in your city) that will give you predictions and ultimately allow you to sit exams. Therefore you’re much more likely to only have to do a year.

Two personal opinions of mine: 1) a year in the grand scheme of things is nothing and a year out can be a good opportunity to gain valuable experience. On top of this, the A-level grades you get and the university you go to is something that can have a tangible impact on job prospects. 2) not everyone needs to go to Oxbridge. I’m at Cambridge myself and do a lot of outreach/access work and often I find people who may want to go, but will find that they are simply outcompeted (no shame in this at all) or that it ultimately wouldn’t be a good environment for them anyway. Oxbridge is not the be all end all. With all that in mind I would think about improving your grades and looking elsewhere.

I have already been waiting for a year after 2019 exams and resits were canceled and then 2021 exams were canceled in January (at which point I stopped revising because I believed the earliest resit would be 2022) and then in august, the October series was announced and I am now too late. It's not about the 'I go to Oxbridge' thing for me, it's about the tutorial system with the course. Also, my college will not let me resit there and I do not have the means to pay for private centers in my area (which are course-based), some of whom have very bad reputations, high prices and are far away from where I live which adds to costs.
Original post by Xiphos

If you were assigned grades, then sitting exams isn't considered a resit.

What is the loss in time? Once you've left school, people don't live their lives in a framework of age related achievements. no-one cares if you are 18, 19, 20, 21, 15, 30, 40 or whatever at uni.

It's not worth applying with your current grades.
Original post by Xiphos
I have heard admissions tutors and students say things along the lines of 'Oxford looks for the potential in candidates' or the 'raw material' so to speak. I don't think that my academic profile represents my ability and if this idea of valuing 'potential' is true then does the TSA score still mean nothing?

You'd need to resit your A levels to even have a shot at Oxford. Even then, you'd be on the weaker side of applicants based on your GCSEs. It's not worth losing a year over it.
Reply 19
Original post by threeportdrift
If you were assigned grades, then sitting exams isn't considered a resit.

What is the loss in time? Once you've left school, people don't live their lives in a framework of age related achievements. no-one cares if you are 18, 19, 20, 21, 15, 30, 40 or whatever at uni.

It's not worth applying with your current grades.

Does that mean resit and then apply because it doesn't matter if it's in 2023? Just checking if I understood you correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending