why is doing a PhD so hard in your twenties?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It is something I am currently struggling with as a postgraduate in this age cohort.
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It is something I am currently struggling with as a postgraduate in this age cohort.
I haven't done postgraduate yet myself but I would imagine it is easier when you are younger. This is before you have a family and are financially able to live on a small stipend.
xxx0xxxo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve heard that certain cognitive skills especially useful academia improve over time and with experience. Like reading capacity, vocabulary and understanding complex texts.
That’s why this career way has good prospects for older people and late retirement. Unlike many other industries.
Hoping this is true!
medicphd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I haven't seen a difference in how people in different age groups find it. Most people who do a PhD are in their twenties anyway. People with more experience find it easier, but that makes sense.
Anonymous #1
Age is an interesting variable in terms of PhD experiences I think. Interesting point made about improving cognitive skills over time!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think a doctorate is difficult at any age, really. At least in your twenties you've still got a lot of energy and (hopefully) enthusiasm. Also, most people in their early twenties nowadays have got fewer of the accoutrements of proper 'grown-up life' to deal with: spouses, kids, mortgages, houses to look after - all the things that get in the way of what you actually want to spend your life doing. Personally, I'd rather do a Ph.D in my mid-twenties than my mid-thirties or later.
P0OR
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is expensive, you need a lot of money to afford
medicphd
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by P0OR)
It is expensive, you need a lot of money to afford
Not necessarily. Most STEM PhDs are funded, it's pretty rare to find someone who is self-funding. With that comes a stipend, which is usually just enough to live off (if you don't have any dependents). In terms of expenses it's likely that it'd actually be harder for people in their 30s seeing as at that age more people will have kids.
Anonymous #1
Yeah these are all very valid points!
P0OR
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by medicphd)
Not necessarily. Most STEM PhDs are funded, it's pretty rare to find someone who is self-funding. With that comes a stipend, which is usually just enough to live off (if you don't have any dependents). In terms of expenses it's likely that it'd actually be harder for people in their 30s seeing as at that age more people will have kids.
A lot of people pay for their Masters and PhDs and I know my uncle paid for his PhD in Maths
medicphd
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by P0OR)
A lot of people pay for their Masters and PhDs and I know my uncle paid for his PhD in Maths
Yeah for their masters, but it's incredibly uncommon for people to self-fund STEM PhDs. I've been a PhD student for nearly 3 years now and I've never met someone who's self-funding. Maybe in the humanities it's more common because there's less funding, but for STEM it's incredibly rare.
P0OR
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah for their masters, but it's incredibly uncommon for people to self-fund STEM PhDs. I've been a PhD student for nearly 3 years now and I've never met someone who's self-funding. Maybe in the humanities it's more common because there's less funding, but for STEM it's incredibly rare.
There's plenty of students who pay themselves but maybe a lot are funded
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Agreed - I've never heard of a self-funder in the sciences, and nearly all projects have got funding attached anyway (or at least that's what I thought). The only reason to self-fund would probably be that you didn't meet the academic requirements that the funding body sets (I'm sure for instance that the BBSRC used to stipulate a II(1) minimum in your undergrad).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Interesting. I'm in the humanities rather than stem.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Although, I think as pointed out above it is really difficult at any age!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (14)
53.85%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (3)
11.54%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (3)
11.54%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
3.85%
I haven't started researching yet (2)
7.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
11.54%

Watched Threads