The Student Room Group

Can someone explain mycorrhizae?

I'm a little bit confused about mycorrhizae. Is the definition of mycorrhizae specifically the relationship between hyphae and plant roots? If so, how would you use it in a sentence. I'm trying to phrase this sentence 'Fungi get glucose from plants during mycorrhizae.' But I don't know if it should be during or from etc since it's not a process, but more a relationship. Confused:frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bruh15
I'm a little bit confused about mycorrhizae. Is the definition of mycorrhizae specifically the relationship between hyphae and plant roots? If so, how would you use it in a sentence. I'm trying to phrase this sentence 'Fungi get glucose from plants during mycorrhizae.' But I don't know if it should be during or from etc since it's not a process, but more a relationship. Confused:frown:

ah no, you're confused with having a symbiotic/ mutualistic relationship. Mycorrhizae is just the name of the fungus and hyphae are the long, thin strands which the fungus are made up of; this will connect with the plant roots. So fungi or mycorrhizae would increase the surface area of the plant's root system and then be able to absorb ions uptaken via plant roots. Hope that helps!
Original post by smellychicken
ah no, you're confused with having a symbiotic/ mutualistic relationship. Mycorrhizae is just the name of the fungus and hyphae are the long, thin strands which the fungus are made up of; this will connect with the plant roots. So fungi or mycorrhizae would increase the surface area of the plant's root system and then be able to absorb ions uptaken via plant roots. Hope that helps!

Okay thank you! so does that mean that a mutualistic and symbiotic relationship are the same thing? where both organisms benefit.
Original post by bruh15
Okay thank you! so does that mean that a mutualistic and symbiotic relationship are the same thing? where both organisms benefit.

yhyh its the same thing you got it
Original post by bruh15

A mutualism(+/+) is one type of symbiotic interaction. Parasitism (+/-) is another type of symbiotic interaction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending