The Student Room Group

Primary Education - Teaching Experience

I'm currently in year 13 and I'm pretty set on doing Primary Education, however I'm not sure if I need work experience or not? Would it be preferred?Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by as432
I'm currently in year 13 and I'm pretty set on doing Primary Education, however I'm not sure if I need work experience or not? Would it be preferred?Thank you!

Yes it would be. It's a talking point. I did 2 weeks to apply for PGCE.

Make sure you don't enrol onto any of those education studies or primary Education studies courses. I don't feel they are good use of time if you have the grades and can get onto the Primary Education with QTS go for that.

do Primary Education with QTS first of all.

Just do the work experience if you have the "free" time and can arrange it. Ask your college to help you with finding work experience or contact a few primary schools. Even if you can help at college that would be in an education setting like at open days. This will be good to have and add on the application form. Some youth club volunteering would be good too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by as432

Quite a few students spend an afternoon a week in a local Primary school. Are you going to do a degree then a PGCE or a BEd with QTS?
Reply 3
I had work experience working with children not necessarily in school so I definitely used that in my interviews, I only probably had a few afternoons of work experience on my belt! There is a range of people on my course who have loads of experience and some others that have barely any. Definitely good to have to understand some of the course content they discuss, it can help you put things into perspective too but I dont think its the end of the world if not, especially with COVID.
Reply 4
Yes you need it because most universities suggest you gain work experience before you apply. It also helps when you write your personal statement.
Reply 5
Undertaking at least 2 weeks work experience in a state primary school in the 2 years before starting the degree used to be a mandatory condition but it seems to have been removed with Covid. It's still a good idea if you can find some.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending