The Student Room Group

classics epq

i want to study classics at university and my school requires me to do an epq. i want to do it on something classics related but i feel like i have no idea where to even start! has anyone done a classics epq and can tell me what their topic was/give me a couple of ideas. i'm most interested in something to do with women in the ancient world. thanks:smile:
Not gonna lie, I'd never heard of an EPQ before (I'm kinda old), so I had to look it up.

So no I've never done an EPQ, but it looks super interesting. Do you have to write an essay on whatever topic you're interested in - so you do your own research and so on? I'd absolutely love that!

I watched this really interesting online lecture the other day (it was an Eventbrite event) - it was on "How to fight and die like a Greek woman". They went on about different ways women stereotypically committed murder in ancient Greek times (poison, throwing roof tiles off roofs), and explored this theme within eastern women vs traditional "housewife type" Athenian women, and then delved into the Amazons, and then looked at other ancient women famous for being actual warriors and their military positions.

It was a really good lecture.

If you're interested in women in the ancient world, it was a really intriguing angle to learn about, so there's an idea for you.
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Not gonna lie, I'd never heard of an EPQ before (I'm kinda old), so I had to look it up.

So no I've never done an EPQ, but it looks super interesting. Do you have to write an essay on whatever topic you're interested in - so you do your own research and so on? I'd absolutely love that!

I watched this really interesting online lecture the other day (it was an Eventbrite event) - it was on "How to fight and die like a Greek woman". They went on about different ways women stereotypically committed murder in ancient Greek times (poison, throwing roof tiles off roofs), and explored this theme within eastern women vs traditional "housewife type" Athenian women, and then delved into the Amazons, and then looked at other ancient women famous for being actual warriors and their military positions.

It was a really good lecture.

If you're interested in women in the ancient world, it was a really intriguing angle to learn about, so there's an idea for you.

thanks so much for your response! an epq is basically equivalent to half an a level, its about 150 hours of work and research that you have to log. you have to write about 5000 words on anything that interests you (most people choose to do it on something they want to do at uni so that they can talk about it in their personal statement) but it can be completely random.

anyway, that lecture sounds really interesting. i've looked it up but i can't find it anywhere. did you have to sign up for it in advance? i was thinking of doing something on the way that ancient women were villainised to cater to men's idea of independent women, and that lecture sounds like it would be really useful.

can i ask how you found out about the lecture? thanks again.
Original post by carakaur
thanks so much for your response! an epq is basically equivalent to half an a level, its about 150 hours of work and research that you have to log. you have to write about 5000 words on anything that interests you (most people choose to do it on something they want to do at uni so that they can talk about it in their personal statement) but it can be completely random.

anyway, that lecture sounds really interesting. i've looked it up but i can't find it anywhere. did you have to sign up for it in advance? i was thinking of doing something on the way that ancient women were villainised to cater to men's idea of independent women, and that lecture sounds like it would be really useful.

can i ask how you found out about the lecture? thanks again.

It was this lecture -

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cai-dublin-branch-lecture-dr-jane-masseglia-26th-october-at-730-pm-tickets-192343934887?keep_tld=1

It was live so I don't think it's re-watchable unfortunately.

I'm studying BA Hons Classical Studies at the Open University. Someone on the Facebook group for Open University Classical Studies shared the link to the lecture in advance, in case anybody was interested in it, so I signed up.

I'm sure there's more Classics lectures that come up - have a search on Eventbrite
Reply 4
i want to study classics at university and my school requires me to do an epq. i want to do it on something classics related but i feel like i have no idea where to even start! has anyone done a classics epq and can tell me what their topic was/give me a couple of ideas. i'm most interested in something to do with women in the ancient world. thanks:smile:

Hi :smile: My EPQ was on the prophet archetype within Greek literature. You could possibly look at fictional women within poetry and art eg. Cassandra, Clytemnestra, etc. You could look at Sappho and the representation of women and goddesses within her poetry, or even at the divine feminine in general (specifically Aphrodite, Artemis, Athene...)
Reply 5
Original post by Frey.j.a
Hi :smile: My EPQ was on the prophet archetype within Greek literature. You could possibly look at fictional women within poetry and art eg. Cassandra, Clytemnestra, etc. You could look at Sappho and the representation of women and goddesses within her poetry, or even at the divine feminine in general (specifically Aphrodite, Artemis, Athene...)

wow! yours sounds really interesting - what was the actual title? and thanks for the great idea - i will definitely look into that. how did you go about picking a topic and how long did it take you?:smile:
Reply 6
wow! yours sounds really interesting - what was the actual title? and thanks for the great idea - i will definitely look into that. how did you go about picking a topic and how long did it take you?:smile:

Title was 'The Prophet Archetype: How are Prophets Presented in Homeric and Classical Greek Literature?'. I started with ancient prophecy as a wider idea and narrowed down and narrowed down until I had something more specific. Took me a solid month to even do that and then decide which areas I wanted to touch on (Iliad, Odyssey, Agamemnon, Oedipus Tyrannus). A few months to write it.
Reply 7
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success

My daughter did these. Useful to start with. Don't pay anything though as you can do it for free.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi ive just done an EPQ and am applying for Classical Studies this year. I did mine on the political impact Agrippina the Younger had in Rome, and I have got a A* in it (53/54). I really enjoyed it. The tip with the epq is to do something you enjoy and feel passion for otherwise you will hate it and it will drag. A friend of mine did hers on the reception of women in ancient myth. Let me know what topic you choose.
Reply 9
Original post by wellsey_
Hi ive just done an EPQ and am applying for Classical Studies this year. I did mine on the political impact Agrippina the Younger had in Rome, and I have got a A* in it (53/54). I really enjoyed it. The tip with the epq is to do something you enjoy and feel passion for otherwise you will hate it and it will drag. A friend of mine did hers on the reception of women in ancient myth. Let me know what topic you choose.

i think you just replied to my message on 'classics at uni'. i am thinking of doing an epq on ancient greek philosophy (socrates/plato etc). i wanted to do one on the reception of women but my school told me it was too overdone and top universities like cambridge wouldn't view it as highly:frown: no idea if thats true or not!
how long did it take you to choose a topic? i'm struggling a bit at the moment with one.
Hi lovely, i think I took me about 2-3 weeks of research before I settled on my epq topic. I think Greek Philosophy could be really interesting but make sure you pick a focused argument and do some research before hand (even if it is light). I cannot speak to if Oxbridge will undervalue an epq based on topic matter as I didn't apply, but I think if your passion shines through it won't matter. Hopefully that help?
If you don’t mind me asking what websites did you use as I want to do an EPQ on Roman politics and wanted some good recourses to start with
Reply 12
Original post by wellsey_

Hi I'm doing an epq on classical studies aswell do you have any tips, advice and ideas you can give me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending