The Student Room Group

helpp

what do you do when someone asks for emotional support when you don't know them well, and are awkward in emotional situations??
Original post by Anonymous
what do you do when someone asks for emotional support when you don't know them well, and are awkward in emotional situations??

Idk, listen to them? And offer emotional support?

Or direct them towards other sources of help, eg a therapist if it is serious. Otherwise, just listen and be there for them
Reply 3
Or direct them towards other sources of help, eg a therapist if it is serious. Otherwise, just listen and be there for them

Idk, listen to them? And offer emotional support?

I listened (obviously), but I just didnt know what to say afterwards...

It can be tricky, I'd probably acknowledge how they are feeling and express sympathy, say that their feelings are valid, and then maybe try and give advice, although you don't have to

Acknowledging their feelings and trying to understand them is the main thing. You don’t need to offer advice or anything just be someone they can talk to.
Reply 6
It can be tricky, I'd probably acknowledge how they are feeling and express sympathy, say that their feelings are valid, and then maybe try and give advice, although you don't have to

tysm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending