The Student Room Group

Career progression

I have been in a middle office market risk position at a tier one BB for about a year and a half now. My background includes a high first class grade from a top Russel group university in mathematics/ statistics. The pay has been relatively good at about £50k, and (I assume) should grow through the ranks in the years to come (hitting a 6-figure base salary around 5/6 years in at VP level and ~£200k+ at MD). I am quite good at what I have done so far and am liked by the seniors in my division. I was hoping to get more insight into what a career in market risk looks like at more senior levels and how the career progression looks. I would appreciate any tips on how I can stand out and make a true impact/ mark in the division. I’m also curious to find out how the promotions in the middle office work, since it is not a revenue generating function (so how would seniors consider promotions). How could I make a move into a buy-side field or trading as well, if this is possible? Is it advisable to go back to university and get a masters degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending