The Student Room Group

Applying to Ph.D. because of employment opportunities.

I graduated from a master of arts a few years ago and have done menial work since and have struggled to find a 'career' role. I know this opportunity is potentially around the corner but I am keen to progress my career. I am not the most academically gifted, but hard work has allowed me to get this far, and to complete a doctorate would be a dream come true. I know it's not so necessary for my professional career.

So, in writing this I am hoping to find others who are considering doctoral study, mostly out of a pressure to make progression in their career?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Kosmo.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by kosmopolitan
I graduated from a master of arts a few years ago and have done menial work since and have struggled to find a 'career' role. I know this opportunity is potentially around the corner but I am keen to progress my career. I am not the most academically gifted, but hard work has allowed me to get this far, and to complete a doctorate would be a dream come true. I know it's not so necessary for my professional career.

So, in writing this I am hoping to find others who are considering doctoral study, mostly out of a pressure to make progression in their career?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Kosmo.

I'm not sure what subject you want to do your PhD in, but I did a master's and PhD in economics after working for a few years after my undergrad, so happy to answer any questions if you've got them.

Not to deter you, but I think it's worth recognising early on that PhD is very very different from a bachelor's/master's for many reasons. I think a big difference is that in undergrad and even a MSc for the most part, you can sort of brute force your way through them with hard work because most class mates aren't willing to put the long hours in, but for a PhD the hard work is standard but you do also just have to be pretty intelligent as some of the things covered are very challenging conceptually. So it's not just about working hard. And one big way to lessen the intellectual work load is to make sure that you're doing your PhD on a niche topic that you really really love, and that you pick a university with supervisors who are a very good fit for your personality and research interests, otherwise it can be rather hellish.

Out of interest, why do you want to do a PhD? It feels a bit inconsistent when you say a job opportunity is potentially just around the corner and that you're keen to progress your career, but then mention that a PhD isn't necessary to do this, but you also suggested that you're feeling career pressure to do a PhD? Obviously it depends on your subject/preferences and goals, but generally I wouldn't recommend doing a PhD because you're keen to progress your career if that career isn't in academia and doesn't require a PhD - there a much less stressful/difficult/timely ways to do this outside of doing a PhD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending