The Student Room Group

Finance career question

Hi there, im due to graduate with a BSc in chemistry and was wondering how do you get into a finance career with a STEM degree?
I've heard that you just need a quantitative degree to get into a finance job but it seems as though I also need to have quite a bit of knowledge surrounding finance and such and was wondering if anyone knew anyone that went from a STEM degree into a finance career and their journey
Reply 1
Hi
I know a lot of people who entered financial careers with STEM degrees. Which areas of financial work interest you?
Reply 2
investment banking ideally, but i was wondering are there any pre-requisites I need to complete/obtain before entering that career or applying for it? and generally how difficult is it to land a job like that with a Chem degree
Reply 3
Original post by sh1011
investment banking ideally, but i was wondering are there any pre-requisites I need to complete/obtain before entering that career or applying for it? and generally how difficult is it to land a job like that with a Chem degree

Not my area. I suspect that having strong A level and possibly GCSE grades matters, as does your choice of university. An issue you would have is competing with people who have been targeting IB since their A levels so have internships and a fair amount of knowledge about the job and recruitment paths.

Perhaps read some of the posts and forums for people applying for IB jobs (front office of course - middle or back would be much easier).
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Not my area. I suspect that having strong A level and possibly GCSE grades matters, as does your choice of university. An issue you would have is competing with people who have been targeting IB since their A levels so have internships and a fair amount of knowledge about the job and recruitment paths.
Perhaps read some of the posts and forums for people applying for IB jobs (front office of course - middle or back would be much easier).
what is your area? also wdym by front office?
Reply 5
Original post by sh1011
what is your area? also wdym by front office?

Ok - you are not even at the starting line if you don’t know what front office means. These are the jobs in banks which pay a lot - essentially working with clients and decision making.

I’m a chartered accountant.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Ok - you are not even at the starting line if you don’t know what front office means. These are the jobs in banks which pay a lot - essentially working with clients and decision making.
I’m a chartered accountant.

Yeah, I don’t know much about finance I am just trying to learn now. I’m thinking of getting a book or two to get me into it.

Did you do accounting in Uni as well?
Original post by sh1011
Yeah, I don’t know much about finance I am just trying to learn now. I’m thinking of getting a book or two to get me into it.

What is it about finance that makes you want to get into it?
If it's the money, that's and OK answer, but there are plenty of more fulfilling careers you can do that aren't so mind numbing (I work in accounting too).
Reply 8
Original post by mathperson
What is it about finance that makes you want to get into it?
If it's the money, that's and OK answer, but there are plenty of more fulfilling careers you can do that aren't so mind numbing (I work in accounting too).

Yeah it’s mostly the money and the career progression. Science is a lot more interesting yes however chemistry jobs require a lot more work plus pay a lot less and there isn’t great career progression. You mostly start in a lab for 8 hours a day and all the higher up position or senior positions also require a PhD and I am not too fond of that either.
Reply 9
Original post by sh1011

I did an unrelated humanities degree .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending