The Student Room Group

any advice or anyone who was like me

my life is tough at the moment. I can’t talk to anyone about it. It’s all private-complicated family problems. I’m only 18 tho and I feel like 40. but the main issue that’s really annoying me is how bad my English is when I talk even tho I scored really good marks on my essays but when it comes to speaking, I mess up. I know that it’s because I have always been quiet during my school classes, so I didn’t help myself improve at speaking English. I am now paying the consequences of being quiet all the time. when I applied to random jobs like McDonald’, Costa, etc I kept failing the interviews. I am now thinking of using the Preply platform just to keep practising since I’m during a gap year. I am really scared that after uni I won’t be able to find a proper job because of my English.
Original post by Anonymous
my life is tough at the moment. I can’t talk to anyone about it. It’s all private-complicated family problems. I’m only 18 tho and I feel like 40. but the main issue that’s really annoying me is how bad my English is when I talk even tho I scored really good marks on my essays but when it comes to speaking, I mess up. I know that it’s because I have always been quiet during my school classes, so I didn’t help myself improve at speaking English. I am now paying the consequences of being quiet all the time. when I applied to random jobs like McDonald’, Costa, etc I kept failing the interviews. I am now thinking of using the Preply platform just to keep practising since I’m during a gap year. I am really scared that after uni I won’t be able to find a proper job because of my English.

Hi, I am 21 years old and have the same problem as you. I was the silent kid in the school, didn't talk much apart from talking to friends. I suggest that you start talking to yourself at home in English. You can talk to yourself in the mirror and it can be about anything. If you have a sibling then talk to them in English. It'll feel weird at first but it'll help you in the long run.

Quick Reply

Latest