The Student Room Group

A degree in Criminology

Hi - so I’m interested in starting a degree in Criminology next year, as I am really interested in the subject and loved doing it at A-level.

So I’m just curious as to what kind of careers you can do with a criminology degree? I’m aware the police is one but are there any others? And how hard are they to get into?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :smile:
Same as with any other degree, all generalist grad scheme roles...media, banking, accounting, business generally, the civil service, etc, etc. The actual content of the degree might be particularly relevant to some civil service roles.

Note that a degree in criminology is essentially an applied sociology degree considering how to rehabilitate offenders and how to address the social causes of crime, etc. It's not a degree in "criminal profiling" or any such thing, so it's not really that relevant to policing when you think about it...the stuff criminologists consider generally comes well before a crime is committed on large scales (how do xyz factors influence the incidence of crime in region A) or well after (how do we ensure that offenders are rehabilitated and reintroduced to society so that they don't fall into a cycle of having to turn to crime due to having been found guilty of a crime in the past).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Alfiesjushshshs
Hi - so I’m interested in starting a degree in Criminology next year, as I am really interested in the subject and loved doing it at A-level.

So I’m just curious as to what kind of careers you can do with a criminology degree? I’m aware the police is one but are there any others? And how hard are they to get into?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

@Alfiesjushshshs

Hello! I did a Sociology degree and a Psychology MSc so have floated around the social sciences. It might be worth checking this article out on Criminology progression

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/criminology

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending