The Student Room Group

Biochemistry or Biomedical Science?

Hi guys,

I want to learn some medical knowledge as I need it for my business. Since am not going to be a doctor, medicine isn't for me, so is Biochemistry or Biomedical Science more suited for me? I have been looking at the course modules as well.
But any opinion is welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Yes, I also heard that it is very difficult, that's why I thought of just studying Management in University. But now I am starting to change my mind because I always have studied STEM subjects & it feels like if I don't take a Biology-related course, I would learn nothing more than what I have learned during my A-levels. Eventually, I will have to do business but it's still related to health care industry as we sell products such as medical equipment, devices and etc. I will be taking a joint degree or courses with business modules. I have been looking at the modules as well.

As you have finished a Biochemistry degree yourself, do you think it has something to do with healthcare ? -Like diseases & diagnosis. Sorry I am not quite sure how to put my thoughts into words, sorry. Thanks for your time.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Claude Thant
Hi guys,

I want to learn some medical knowledge as I need it for my business. Since am not going to be a doctor, medicine isn't for me, so is Biochemistry or Biomedical Science more suited for me? I have been looking at the course modules as well.
But any opinion is welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I am a current 3rd year natural sciences student at the University of Nottingham.
I was in a similar situation when I was deciding what course to do as I loved medical type stuff but didn't want to be a doctor.

I decided on a natural sciences degree as it allowed me to be a bit more flexible than other science degrees.
I took Biology, Chemistry and Psychology in 1st year and have continued with Biology and Psychology in 2nd and 3rd year. I have taken most modules that fit with neurobiology and disease.
New to the course at Nottingham is also cancer science so that is an option to study alongside Biology.
There are modules such as Genome and human disease, neurobiology of disease, genes molecules and cells and cancer biology to name a few which are quite medically orientated.

I have left a link below to the course if it sounds like something you might be interested in.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/naturalsciences/

If you have any questions just let me know,
Emily :smile:
Hello guys, thank you for your replies. I submitted my UCAS application a few days ago. I found that Medical Science suits my interest best, although 2 of my choices are Biomedical Science (insurance). I hope you are all having a lovely day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending