The Student Room Group

Am I studying too much?

Hello,

I'm 13 and I'm studying 1 and a half hours a day. Is this too much? Or is it a good thing to start studying now, because I want to get maybe a grade 8 or possibly grade 9 on my GCSEs? I want to get into a good college and university. Is it better to start studying now or wait until I'm in Y10/11?
Original post by star_deer
Hello,

I'm 13 and I'm studying 1 and a half hours a day. Is this too much? Or is it a good thing to start studying now, because I want to get maybe a grade 8 or possibly grade 9 on my GCSEs? I want to get into a good college and university. Is it better to start studying now or wait until I'm in Y10/11?

I thought you said you were in Y13 in which case I would’ve said that’s a decent amount but because you’re 13 I would say it is probably too much! I mean it’s up to you but you are going to have to do so much studying later in life and you might as well enjoy school and relax at the moment because (as a Y13) I can tell you from my own experience that none of the tests you do now will ever matter! Even GCSEs aren’t that important and it’s great you want to get an 8 or 9 but you don’t need to start revision now for that. When I was in Y11 I would revise the night before my science exams and I got 8s in them all so really don’t worry about it at the moment, enjoy school as much as possible and work hard when you get to that exam stage! You should obviously study if you want and if you enjoy it but don’t feel pressured to do so as it probably won’t make a difference to your GCSEs to start studying yet anyway :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hamlethoratio
I thought you said you were in Y13 in which case I would’ve said that’s a decent amount but because you’re 13 I would say it is probably too much! I mean it’s up to you but you are going to have to do so much studying later in life and you might as well enjoy school and relax at the moment because (as a Y13) I can tell you from my own experience that none of the tests you do now will ever matter! Even GCSEs aren’t that important and it’s great you want to get an 8 or 9 but you don’t need to start revision now for that. When I was in Y11 I would revise the night before my science exams and I got 8s in them all so really don’t worry about it at the moment, enjoy school as much as possible and work hard when you get to that exam stage! You should obviously study if you want and if you enjoy it but don’t feel pressured to do so as it probably won’t make a difference to your GCSEs to start studying yet anyway :smile:

Thank you! And I am not Y13 lol I'm Y9 right now, thanks for the advice, and good luck in university since ur y13(i'm pretty sure ur on ur last year of college) :smile:
Enjoy yr9 seriously, I messed about so much got suspended played football all day when it came to yr 11 knuckled down and got 5 9's to 2 8's and 3 7's

In sixth form in A level got 3 A's in Bio chem maths and offer from medicine.

Its about working hard when it matters yr 11, yr 12, yr13

Dont work hard from yr7 to yr10 use those years to have a good time with friends cause life gets harsh when you grow older.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sdfgfsaq
Enjoy yr9 seriously, I messed about so much got suspended played football all day when it came to yr 11 knuckled down and got 5 9's to 2 8's and 3 7's

In sixth form in A level got 3 A's in Bio chem maths and offer from medicine.

Its about working hard when it matters yr 11, yr 12, yr13

Dont work hard from yr7 to yr10 use those years to have a good time with friends cause life gets harsh when you grow older.

Ah ok, I'll probably still study but not as much lol ty for the advice, I'll be sure to chillax and enjoy y9 a bit more :smile:
Ah ok, I'll probably still study but not as much lol ty for the advice, I'll be sure to chillax and enjoy y9 a bit more :smile:

i still reminisce about my yr9 days when your young you wish to grow up and think it will get better but tbh all that fun I had in yr9 its unrivalled. I still remember my sweet selling business, joking in lessons, football matches and tounrments. so yh work but more importantly enjoy.
Reply 6
Hello,

In year 9 i promise you that you dont need to do that much. Just stay on top of homework/classwork and do a decent amount of revision each weekend so you dont fall behind.
Thank you! And I am not Y13 lol I'm Y9 right now, thanks for the advice, and good luck in university since ur y13(i'm pretty sure ur on ur last year of college) :smile:

Honestly just enjoy Y9 whilst you can! If you do, you’ll look back on it with happy memories rather than regretting how much you got stressed and spent so much time studying unnecessarily. Thank you! Yep, I’ll start uni in September/October this year! Good luck with school as well, with your drive and determination I’m sure you’ll succeed when you do make it to Y11 and sit your exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest