The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Looking for an OU study buddy

I’m starting my second year with the open university (23/24), and I am looking for people who are in a similar position.

We can help each other out with whatever pops up this academic year. I do classics and history but whatever your course is, i would like to hear.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Garvin88
I’m starting my second year with the open university (23/24), and I am looking for people who are in a similar position.

We can help each other out with whatever pops up this academic year. I do classics and history but whatever your course is, i would like to hear.

Thank you :smile:

Hello, I am also studying with the OU 23/24 and I am working towards an English literature degree. We are being introduced to the classics as part of one of the modules.

I would be more than happy to chat and stuff! :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by LiteraryGeek
Hello, I am also studying with the OU 23/24 and I am working towards an English literature degree. We are being introduced to the classics as part of one of the modules.

I would be more than happy to chat and stuff! :smile:

Hello, that would be great! I can’t pm yet my account is brand new. What modules are you doing? I completed A111and A112 for first year and really enjoyed it. The creative writing segment threw me off though 😂
Hi there, that is absolutely no problem! I was actually looking for a study buddy or an opportunity to meet some new people, so it's quite opportune that your question came along.

I am studying both the A111 and A112 modules. Creative writing is actually one of my strengths, and I am look really looking forward to it. I can see from the module outline how that section can sneak up on you.

I love the idea of studying history or the classics as their own subjects and not just as part of the Literature degree, because it's so interesting. Though I can't see how I would personally use that directly beyond studying it.

History was one of my considerations when choosing a degree, despite not really doing any studying of History beyond the age of fifteen.
Reply 4
Original post by LiteraryGeek
Hi there, that is absolutely no problem! I was actually looking for a study buddy or an opportunity to meet some new people, so it's quite opportune that your question came along.

I am studying both the A111 and A112 modules. Creative writing is actually one of my strengths, and I am look really looking forward to it. I can see from the module outline how that section can sneak up on you.

I love the idea of studying history or the classics as their own subjects and not just as part of the Literature degree, because it's so interesting. Though I can't see how I would personally use that directly beyond studying it.

History was one of my considerations when choosing a degree, despite not really doing any studying of History beyond the age of fifteen.

That’s really nice to hear! A111 and A112 are introductory courses so you will touch on philosophy, art history, music and so on. It will be daunting at first (especially if you have never come across it before!) but it’s only brief and beginner friendly. There are a choice of TMAs so you can focus on your subject, try something you find interesting or avoid a discipline you really dislike.

You will have a lot of fun and I don’t mind giving any advice in terms of your courses or how the uni works.
Original post by Garvin88
That’s really nice to hear! A111 and A112 are introductory courses so you will touch on philosophy, art history, music and so on. It will be daunting at first (especially if you have never come across it before!) but it’s only brief and beginner friendly. There are a choice of TMAs so you can focus on your subject, try something you find interesting or avoid a discipline you really dislike.

You will have a lot of fun and I don’t mind giving any advice in terms of your courses or how the uni works.

Thank you very much!

I have noticed that these modules are very broad introduction, but then again that is to make sure that we are spending enough time working on our skills and then utilising them in years two and three.

I like that we are touching on philosophy and the classics in particular that was something I wasn't expecting to do in so much detail. Plus, I didn't even really know what the classics were until I started the modules.

Thank you for the reassurance that I will have fun. It can be daunting, wondering if I have taken too much on, or am I doing enough. Having said, that I am really enjoying the degree so far. It feels nice to do something for myself, and have time to myself in order to complete the work. Doing the degree it necessary for my career, but it is really nice to do something that I intensely enjoy as well.

I really like also that we can work pretty much at our own pace, and independently Though I am having to slow down a little bit, because I will be getting ahead of the tutorials, and I don't want to get too far ahead. 😂

Quick Reply

Latest