The Student Room Group

RCA Photography - Mature Student

I'm starting Photography MA with the RCA this September as a mature student (late forties). Curious to know if there's anyone else out there in a similar position to me? While I'm cool feeling a little over-ripe for student life, given the fact that I'm making this post, I suppose I'm a little anxious, too. I'm sure I'll just sink into the whole study thing easily enough but it would be good to hear about other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Andy
Reply 1
Original post by AndyKbe
I'm starting Photography MA with the RCA this September as a mature student (late forties). Curious to know if there's anyone else out there in a similar position to me? While I'm cool feeling a little over-ripe for student life, given the fact that I'm making this post, I suppose I'm a little anxious, too. I'm sure I'll just sink into the whole study thing easily enough but it would be good to hear about other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Andy

Late 40s too ... starting this Sept at UCL ... starting with a one year Masters to be followed by three years PhD. Babbies on here if you ask me, writing this or that and saying they're 20 something and are "mature students" ha!
IKR. A 20-something mature student makes me feel like my grandfather. Oh well. 😁 GL with your studies.
Original post by AndyKbe

Thanks!

Andy

Original post by MAG75
Late 40s too ... starting this Sept at UCL ... starting with a one year Masters to be followed by three years PhD. Babbies on here if you ask me, writing this or that and saying they're 20 something and are "mature students" ha!

Hi AndyKbe & MAG75

Congratulations to you both! As an extra mature student (58 but I try to ignore it!) it is great you are both returning to study. I am sure you will both be fine, you may find some young students will try their best to ignore you (obviously, they would not be worth knowing anyway), but in my experience most are fairly happy to chat and will appreciate your thoughts in group discussions etc. Don't forget about a third of Undergraduates are officially mature, and just over half of post grads when starting their degree or post grad courses, so you are unlikely to be stuck on your own surrounded by a sea of teenagers!

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
Thanks, Chris. Your post inspired me to look at some age-related statistics for MA study. Plus, everything I’ve read about the RCA makes me think I’ll have no issues whatsoever. Much more comfortable about everything now.
Original post by AndyKbe
Thanks, Chris. Your post inspired me to look at some age-related statistics for MA study. Plus, everything I’ve read about the RCA makes me think I’ll have no issues whatsoever. Much more comfortable about everything now.

That's great AndyKbe, I hope you have a fantastic time!
Original post by AndyKbe

Thanks!

Andy

Hello Andy,

I can certainly relate to an extent of what you're feeling. I started my MA in Photography in my mid twenties and still felt that the 'student' lifestyle was behind me (not that I was a typical student anyhow). The thing I remembered was that doing an MA is something mature in of itself, purely because one has already completed an undergraduate degree in the past in order to achieve the status of being an MA student. It is a step above the echelon of the BA, into another world of deeper contextuality of art, philosophy and photography. An MA is also what you make it, as it is purely down to you with what it is you want to do. You aren't interpreting a brief and making work from it, as you're creating a proposal and undertaking it.

There is nothing to worry about. It is only natural to feel anxious when arriving at the sunlit uplands ahead (not that I am telling you to suck eggs). But rest assured, once you start your MA, talk to other potential classmates and involve yourself around the university, you will begin to feel at peace and the wave of normality runs over you. There will also be plenty of people around your age, and older! I am most certainly at the lower end of the age spectrum for masters degrees, but I am aware of other students well into their 60's and beyond. We are all doing the MA for a reason, and that is to be masters of our subject. In the end, it all works out and it all becomes natural.

All the best,

Ray Goodwin
MA Photography
Student Ambassador
Original post by Plymouth College Of Art
Hello Andy,

I can certainly relate to an extent of what you're feeling. I started my MA in Photography in my mid twenties and still felt that the 'student' lifestyle was behind me (not that I was a typical student anyhow). The thing I remembered was that doing an MA is something mature in of itself, purely because one has already completed an undergraduate degree in the past in order to achieve the status of being an MA student. It is a step above the echelon of the BA, into another world of deeper contextuality of art, philosophy and photography. An MA is also what you make it, as it is purely down to you with what it is you want to do. You aren't interpreting a brief and making work from it, as you're creating a proposal and undertaking it.

There is nothing to worry about. It is only natural to feel anxious when arriving at the sunlit uplands ahead (not that I am telling you to suck eggs). But rest assured, once you start your MA, talk to other potential classmates and involve yourself around the university, you will begin to feel at peace and the wave of normality runs over you. There will also be plenty of people around your age, and older! I am most certainly at the lower end of the age spectrum for masters degrees, but I am aware of other students well into their 60's and beyond. We are all doing the MA for a reason, and that is to be masters of our subject. In the end, it all works out and it all becomes natural.

All the best,

Ray Goodwin
MA Photography
Student Ambassador

What a perfect response, Ray. Thank you. Your words make so much sense. I also think that, once I get into the swing of it, everything will feel 'normal'. It's funny because, generally, I'm cool with my age. I hardly think about it. I suppose the waiting period (until my studies commence) is causing me to think way too much. I'm eager to start... to know the reality rather than obsessing over potential what-ifs. The MA is so important to me and, I suppose, it's important to everyone who decides to study post-grad. In other words, there's a maturity.

Ray, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Truly appreciated!

Andy
Reply 8
Original post by username5813590

Thanks!

Andy

Hi Andy
just wondering how you got on... how was the MA? How was the experience of being an older student... I am in my 40s too And looking at the same degree at the same uni!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending