The Student Room Group

A level choices- economics, psychology, philosophy and mandarin

I am thinking of to pick these four subjects for a level: economics, psychology, philosophy and mandarin. But I don't know if its too much. However, I am basically native for mandarin so I don't think mandarin will be that hard for me as I had a look at the mandarin a level paper and I think I can handle that without too much stress and I don't know if the rest of my a level choices would be too much together.

Some other choices that I was considering are:
1) economics, psychology, mandarin + EPQ (but because I am native for mandarin I don't know if UK universities would like that)
2) economics, psychology, math, mandarin + EPQ (im scared this would be too much)

3) psychology, philosophy, math, mandarin + EPQ
4) psychology, math, mandarin + EPQ
5) psychology, math, economics, mandarin
Or just some combinations of these subjects. And I really don't know what I should pick.

For university the major I would like to do is either media or psychology (i know they are two completely different things but these are two that I am interested in)

And I have one more question if I learn economics, is there still a point of me learning business as half an a level
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by infires-
I am thinking of to pick these four subjects for a level: economics, psychology, philosophy and mandarin. But I don't know if its too much. However, I am basically native for mandarin so I don't think mandarin will be that hard for me as I had a look at the mandarin a level paper and I think I can handle that without too much stress and I don't know if they would be too much together.

Some other choices that I was considering are:
1) economics, psychology, mandarin + EPQ (but because I am native for mandarin I don't know if UK universities would like that)
2) economics, psychology, math, mandarin + EPQ (im scared this would be too much)
3) economics, psychology, philosophy, mandarin
4) psychology, philosophy, math, mandarin
5) psychology, philosophy, math, mandarin + EPQ
6) psychology, math, mandarin + EPQ

And I really don't know what I should pick.

For university the major I would like to do is either media or psychology (i know they are two completely different things but these are two that I am interested in)

And I have one more question if I learn economics, is there still a point of me learning business as half an a level

I did Spanish A level, one of my two mother tongues, at A level. It was basically a free A*. Minimal effort on my part but still required time - it was an extra 4 hours of school a week, plus all the time preparing for the IRP and the essay paper (studying the cultural media and honing in my essay skills). I think that it didn't provide me with any great advantage applying to university, I suspect universities saw it for what it was: a cheap trick. Still, may come in handy if you end up doing psychology (as I did), because you may get the chance of studying languages and being a bit more grounded in them is always useful.

I think 4 A levels and EPQ is a bit overkill, unless you're really up for the challenge.

I can't speak for media entry requirements, but for psychology, you'll need at the very least one science. Most universities say that they recommend two sciences though, and I'd agree - while psychology is definitely the crossover between the sciences and the humanities, it is a science more than anything else, and there's an awful lot of statistics involved, so Maths A level might help you a lot. But it's not necessary and there are lots of people on my psychology course at Queen Mary which just did A level psychology and then humanities subjects.

I think there's very little point in doing half an A level, period. If you'll drop it at the end of year 12, then universities won't care about it.
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
I did Spanish A level, one of my two mother tongues, at A level. It was basically a free A*. Minimal effort on my part but still required time - it was an extra 4 hours of school a week, plus all the time preparing for the IRP and the essay paper (studying the cultural media and honing in my essay skills). I think that it didn't provide me with any great advantage applying to university, I suspect universities saw it for what it was: a cheap trick. Still, may come in handy if you end up doing psychology (as I did), because you may get the chance of studying languages and being a bit more grounded in them is always useful.

I think 4 A levels and EPQ is a bit overkill, unless you're really up for the challenge.

I can't speak for media entry requirements, but for psychology, you'll need at the very least one science. Most universities say that they recommend two sciences though, and I'd agree - while psychology is definitely the crossover between the sciences and the humanities, it is a science more than anything else, and there's an awful lot of statistics involved, so Maths A level might help you a lot. But it's not necessary and there are lots of people on my psychology course at Queen Mary which just did A level psychology and then humanities subjects.

I think there's very little point in doing half an A level, period. If you'll drop it at the end of year 12, then universities won't care about it.
Thank you very much for the reply, I will put that into consideration. This was really useful, once again thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest