The Student Room Group

studying at uni

Hey guys,

I am in 3rd year psychology, but i was wondering how much you guys at uni study a day? I know there is no maximum or minimum, it is all subjective, but i am just curious, what would you say is a good amount?

I went over one lecture this morning, and half of another, before having my in person lecture of the day. I wanted to finish the half of the lecture i was doing in the morning, and do some more light work in the evening- am i oversetting myself?

I have come back from my lecture but i am feeling distracted and don't want to finish my half lecture now that i am actually here. Help?
Original post by Mystical_psychic
Hey guys,

I am in 3rd year psychology, but i was wondering how much you guys at uni study a day? I know there is no maximum or minimum, it is all subjective, but i am just curious, what would you say is a good amount?

I went over one lecture this morning, and half of another, before having my in person lecture of the day. I wanted to finish the half of the lecture i was doing in the morning, and do some more light work in the evening- am i oversetting myself?

I have come back from my lecture but i am feeling distracted and don't want to finish my half lecture now that i am actually here. Help?

Hey,

It sounds like you're doing a decent amount! I feel like as long as you're getting the work done that you need to do, then don't stress! I used to treat uni as a 9-5 job, so do any work I needed to do in between classes/lectures. I found if you do it that way, then you tend to get assignments done in good time and then have free time towards the end of term and always have the time to relax in evenings/at weekends. That's what always worked for me and left me not feeling too overworked haha! :smile:

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

It sounds like you're doing a decent amount! I feel like as long as you're getting the work done that you need to do, then don't stress! I used to treat uni as a 9-5 job, so do any work I needed to do in between classes/lectures. I found if you do it that way, then you tend to get assignments done in good time and then have free time towards the end of term and always have the time to relax in evenings/at weekends. That's what always worked for me and left me not feeling too overworked haha! :smile:

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie

I tried to set my studies to end by 5pm too but I never do! Sometimes I think I am overworking, but at the same time, I feel nothing I do is enough. I tend to spend ~hours per lecture I go over, sometimes more, so it takes time. I try and do as much as I can but sometimes don't do everything I have set to do because one task just takes so long 😕
Ofc it's quality over quantity but i can't help but wonder if i need to be doing more, or if i should let myself stop working in times like this where I don't feel like it?
I tried to set my studies to end by 5pm too but I never do! Sometimes I think I am overworking, but at the same time, I feel nothing I do is enough. I tend to spend ~hours per lecture I go over, sometimes more, so it takes time. I try and do as much as I can but sometimes don't do everything I have set to do because one task just takes so long 😕
Ofc it's quality over quantity but i can't help but wonder if i need to be doing more, or if i should let myself stop working in times like this where I don't feel like it?

how do you usually take notes for lectures?
maybe try the cornell note taking method to really think carefully about what the salient points of the lecture are
Original post by steamedclams
how do you usually take notes for lectures?
maybe try the cornell note taking method to really think carefully about what the salient points of the lecture are

I usually make minimal notes during the lecture and just try listen. Then after the lecture I make hand written notes using both the lecture and online resources, so I like to think I am quite efficient. I don't just transcribe what the lecturer is saying, I only write what I understand

also, i notice that I am not efficient in lectures, I tend to understand content much much better once i go over it on my own so sometimes sitting in lectures feels useless to me haha, but it's definitely not
(edited 4 months ago)

Ahh, I'm sorry you're feeling like this! I feel like if you're not feeling it, you shouldn't force it! especially if it's like going over lectures as you won't take the information in so much if you're not in the mood. Maybe take that 5pm as a strict cut off so you can always make time for yourself to relax! ❤️

Also just wanted to add, do you need to go over every lecture? is there a way you could change your notetaking/revision methods so you don't have to spend so much time on them - especially if you're already feeling overworked? Maybe by taking notes in a Q&A format so you have ready-made revision notes or using a revolving traffic light system (i.e. a spreadsheet of all the topics/modules with red for things you don't know, amber for kind of, green for know well), so you don't spend loads of time going over everything? Or printing the slides beforehand and just adding to those? I just worry you'll be too burnt out from spending too much time going over all the content that when assignments/exams come around you might struggle?

Natalie
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by University of Kent
Ahh, I'm sorry you're feeling like this! I feel like if you're not feeling it, you shouldn't force it! especially if it's like going over lectures as you won't take the information in so much if you're not in the mood. Maybe take that 5pm as a strict cut off so you can always make time for yourself to relax! ❤️

Also just wanted to add, do you need to go over every lecture? is there a way you could change your notetaking/revision methods so you don't have to spend so much time on them - especially if you're already feeling overworked? Maybe by taking notes in a Q&A format so you have ready-made revision notes or using a revolving traffic light system (i.e. a spreadsheet of all the topics/modules with red for things you don't know, amber for kind of, green for know well), so you don't spend loads of time going over everything? Or printing the slides beforehand and just adding to those? I just worry you'll be too burnt out from spending too much time going over all the content that when assignments/exams come around you might struggle?

Natalie

Yea I think my habits can be unhealthy, especially since i tend not to take breaks either. I think I feel the need to go over everything as I want to make sure I know it all to a high standard, hence why I spend my time understanding the information.
Is it not needed to go over every topic? Surely just attending a lecture cannot be sufficient for one to do well in an exam - I gathered you'd have to revisit every lecture. It seems like the least a student should be doing?

There have been times I am burnt out for exams but I do well anyway. This year I like all my modules too so it does help. I never feel stressed over exams either and i think it's because I am always revising throughout the semester
Yea I think my habits can be unhealthy, especially since i tend not to take breaks either. I think I feel the need to go over everything as I want to make sure I know it all to a high standard, hence why I spend my time understanding the information.
Is it not needed to go over every topic? Surely just attending a lecture cannot be sufficient for one to do well in an exam - I gathered you'd have to revisit every lecture. It seems like the least a student should be doing?

There have been times I am burnt out for exams but I do well anyway. This year I like all my modules too so it does help. I never feel stressed over exams either and i think it's because I am always revising throughout the semester

do u not have assigned readings related to the lecture? or do ur own further reading? the lecture is only the beginning...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending