The Student Room Group

Abusive Parents - HOUSING

I have currently moved back home which is 2 hours away from uni due to medical condition that left me in hospital for 4 months and loosing my job as well as accommodation not being built properly and financial issues.I moved away from home as I was constantly getting yelled at harassed and abused tk the pint where I had an attempt at one point where I was hospitalised and the police came as my dad chased me around the house with a knife as there were dishes left in the sink.Moving back I have had the worst depression my self harming is constant and anxiety and guilt keep me awake. I have panic attacks at least 5 times a day hardly eat or sleep unless I’m at my boyfriends house as I’m afraid something will happen to me or my siblings. They use personal things against me like my mental health and il ness telling me I’m useless and stupid for not being able to keep a job and moving home.I’m unable to qualify for housing benefits or any as I’m a student and don’t meet any criteria’s. Is there anywhere I can find advice. The average rent where my uni is is around £900 and I don’t work at the moment but j looking for a job but as j live in a village and can’t drive it’s hard to come by something that allows me to travel and study enough for uni.I am in dire need of help I hate that my boyfriend goes out his way to pay for things and help find me a place to live. I feel so guilt and a burden tk his family for always being there. I hate my home it makes me so depressed and all the abuse that I e spent so much time forgetting comes back again. Please any advice would help thank you
Reply 1
Might be worth going to your local CAB and seeing if they can help point you in the direction of housing/lawyers etc.

In the mean time though, might be worth biting the bullet and seeing if you can stay with your boyfriend, if your house really is as bad as you say, if you feel so inclined you can always offer to pay him back for everything further down the line?
Otherwise, have you considered dropping out of uni temporarily until your personal life is more stable? On the uni note, they usually have hardship grants/people to help those in situations such as the one youve described. It could pay to speak to them to see if they can help you out, even if just financially?
Contact your local council's homelessness team.

Quick Reply

Latest