The Student Room Group

What career are you studying towards?

Scroll to see replies

I'm hoping to be either an engineer (mechanical or nuclear) or a physicist (astro/nuclear)

I'm in year 11 and next year I think I'll be doing A-Levels in maths, further maths, physics and german!
Original post by cocolattekurai
Your son in y7 does coding... how long did it take him to learn? I really want to learn coding as well, but I have been doing really little about it, my mind gets bored, but I know it's going to be super useful, and it sounds amazing. Trying to learn html at least :smile:

He started learning when we went into the first lockdown, so it's coming up to 2 years now.

He does Python - he's worked his way through many Udemy courses. He's doing IGCSE Computer Science this year (taking the exam in summer) and he's doing Python for that as well.

After he's got that exam out of the way, he's planning to start on learning other coding languages, like the C ones (it's all Greek to me - my husband is great at programming and stuff, whereas I haven't got a clue apart from a little basic html and bbcode.)
Original post by TylerJNunn
Hi everyone, I just came onto here to read what everyone is considering to do when they leave school. Very curious :biggrin:
I am an aspiring Vet and I am aiming to go to RVC (Royal Veterinary College of London) and I am currently in Year 11 studying towards my GCSE's. My options I take for GCSE are Art, Geography and Construction. At the time of choosing my options for my GCSE's, I wanted to become an Architect, however that has changed. I want to go to college and study Chemistry, Biology, and another subject in which I have not made a decision of yet. I don't know if I should Physics or Animal Care.
What's everyone else's aspirations???

as of now (year 10 taking GCSEs), probably medicine - maybe smth to do with neurology? it might very well change next year when I begin the IB course. however, for my IB choices, I'm deciding between psychology, bio, chem, and lang/lit for my HLs!
Hi everyone, I just came onto here to read what everyone is considering to do when they leave school. Very curious :biggrin:
I am an aspiring Vet and I am aiming to go to RVC (Royal Veterinary College of London) and I am currently in Year 11 studying towards my GCSE's. My options I take for GCSE are Art, Geography and Construction. At the time of choosing my options for my GCSE's, I wanted to become an Architect, however that has changed. I want to go to college and study Chemistry, Biology, and another subject in which I have not made a decision of yet. I don't know if I should Physics or Animal Care.

Hi, I'm also an aspiring vet! I'm in Y13 and lake Biology, Chemistry and French A levels. In terms of choosing a 3rd, the vet schools don't usually mind, I'd advise choosing something you really enjoy to allow a break from bio and chem - which are both quite intense! (but don't be put off by this I've loved both courses so far!) I don't know what your interests are so I can't really advise you personally but I can say that I'm pretty sure the vet schools won't discriminate between either one. The only subjects they usually reject as a 3rd A level is general studies and critical thinking.
Hope this helps and best wishes, Emily
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
He started learning when we went into the first lockdown, so it's coming up to 2 years now.

He does Python - he's worked his way through many Udemy courses. He's doing IGCSE Computer Science this year (taking the exam in summer) and he's doing Python for that as well.

After he's got that exam out of the way, he's planning to start on learning other coding languages, like the C ones (it's all Greek to me - my husband is great at programming and stuff, whereas I haven't got a clue apart from a little basic html and bbcode.)

wow... smart kid :smile:is he taking his gcses early? Because I'm taking computer science as well and I'm in y11
history and sociology, towards anything because I'm basically qualified for anything other than STEM :lol:
Original post by cocolattekurai
wow... smart kid :smile:is he taking his gcses early? Because I'm taking computer science as well and I'm in y11

Yeah the idea is that he does 2 GCSEs in Year 7, 2 in Year 8, 2 in Year 9, and 2 in Year 10.

That's enough, he doesn't really need more than 8. Then he can spend Year 11 just sort of focusing on his main interests - game development. He wants to make 1 or 2 indie games during that year, so he has that under his belt.

My kids are home educated, so it's normal to space out GCSEs. Most home ed kids do that, rather than doing them all at the end of Year 11.

Hi! I’m a current vet student at nottingham! I’m part of the April cohort and I’m due to start second year in April. I’m on placements at the moment. I think physics might help your application more than animal care does but I believe animal care is considered (you’d have to check this though). One tip is veterinary is so hard to get into that whisky it’s good to have preferred unis don’t set your heart on one just in case! If you ever need any help let me know!
Hey, im in year 13, currently studying sociology, psychology and business. I wish to study law and become a barrister down the line x
I want to be a children's book Illustrator and maybe do some digital animation
I'm hoping to do a law degree to go into the legal sector. I'd also like to train to be a teacher at some point :smile:
Reply 31
Marketing/business or some sort of work with racehorses.
:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by grdgirl3
i'm in year 12 and currently aspiring to be pharmacist. My sister is one so i suppose i'm just following in her footsteps. The a-levels i take are bio, chem and maths :smile:

hey! any tips on getting high grades for these subjects? as i'm sure your grades were pretty high to do these a-levels! and my sister is also studying pharmacy! But in the pharmaceutical area like making the drugs, they're probs the same thing tho lool
I am planning to become a Forensic Pathologist and want to study medicine at Oxford University then do another degree in Forensic Sciences:smile:
Original post by vee_mullaaa
hey! any tips on getting high grades for these subjects? as i'm sure your grades were pretty high to do these a-levels! and my sister is also studying pharmacy! But in the pharmaceutical area like making the drugs, they're probs the same thing tho lool

I'm so sorry this reply is so late. For maths just do QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS. and if you do not understand these questions you can look at the worked solutions. if you have a maths textbook and are looking to revise a certain topic do the hardest questions in that topic first to challenge yourself. For chemistry and biology, my method is pretty similar, make sure to ask your teacher about anything you don't understand.
I want to study medicine at Cambridge or Oxford University (hopefully I accomplish these dreams)
i want to work in orchestras, i just passed grade 5 viola and i'm trying to get grade 8 by 18 but i'm also trying to get good grades in other subjects though as i've changed my mind several times and want to keep my options open(i'm in year ten)
i literally don't know what i want to do with my life :frown:
Nursing as one more year to go until qualified 😃😃

Quick Reply

Latest