The Student Room Group

Med or law?

Hi guys,
I am in Year 11 currently picking my A Levels (I still have applied to colleges with Biology, Chemistry and History as my options but now i'm not that sure). I had law as my career option initially because I had always been good at subjects like History and I always thought that being a solicitor was the dream job for me. But, since I have to narrow down my options for uni, I have been thinking if medicine is the job for me.

The thing about medicine is everyone in my family have or are studying towards a job in the health sector. And, I have always been great at science subjects too. But, I don't know if that is something that I would be good for, since a degree in medicine is very long and competitive. I also have no idea how to get work experience or how to just be a doctor really, which I had no problem in law as I had already researched it.

The thing with me is I want to make my parents proud. They have moved from an entirely different continent to make my life convenient and I want to pay them back for all the hard work they have done over the years. And, talking to them, it seems like medicine is the preferred option. But, I do not have much knowledge about how to become a doctor in the UK.

What would you choose if you were me? Should I alter my A levels or should I being anything extra if I wanted to medicine or law?
Original post by Aishwarya_roy
Hi guys,
I am in Year 11 currently picking my A Levels (I still have applied to colleges with Biology, Chemistry and History as my options but now i'm not that sure). I had law as my career option initially because I had always been good at subjects like History and I always thought that being a solicitor was the dream job for me. But, since I have to narrow down my options for uni, I have been thinking if medicine is the job for me.

The thing about medicine is everyone in my family have or are studying towards a job in the health sector. And, I have always been great at science subjects too. But, I don't know if that is something that I would be good for, since a degree in medicine is very long and competitive. I also have no idea how to get work experience or how to just be a doctor really, which I had no problem in law as I had already researched it.

The thing with me is I want to make my parents proud. They have moved from an entirely different continent to make my life convenient and I want to pay them back for all the hard work they have done over the years. And, talking to them, it seems like medicine is the preferred option. But, I do not have much knowledge about how to become a doctor in the UK.

What would you choose if you were me? Should I alter my A levels or should I being anything extra if I wanted to medicine or law?

Hi there

It is good that you are already starting to think about future career options. Both medicine and law are prestigious degrees which lead to a good career.

I know it is a difficult decision to make. Perhaps doing a bit more research into a career in medicine will be helpful? Have you perhaps gotten any advice from family members who are looking at a career in medicine?

When I was in A levels, I wanted to pursue a career in medicine so I took Biology, Chemistry and Maths. However, I changed my mind towards the end of the year after obtaining volunteering experience at a law firm (year 13) and I was able to apply to enter a law degree using UCAS extra and Clearing.

I think for most universities, any A level subjects will be accepted for a law degree- so trying to obtain good A level grades will be the most important thing. (You could postpone making the decision until applying to University, but it will be important to do thorough research before making any final decisions). In terms of work experience, I managed to get some work experience with the NHS by applying for volunteering work (but this was before Covid), maybe it is something you could look into?

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Hi Chloe, thanks so much for your reply! I'm glad to hear that this is not just me and there are others who have struggled with picking between medicine and law. I have been researching medicine lately and have been asking for advice from others, and I'm leaning more towards law because I feel that I can show my skills off towards this career than medicine. But I haven't fixed my mind up yet:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending