The Student Room Group

UK Politics in 1997

Guys, I need help!!!

What were the key valent issues during Blair’s campaign?

And what were people's perceptions of which party was able to address it competently?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by meli77
Guys, I need help!!!

What were the key valent issues during Blair’s campaign?

And what were people's perceptions of which party was able to address it competently?

Thanks!

Dude really?

The internet existed back then.
Reply 2
yes but i can't find anything i have been researching for ages
Reply 3
Original post by meli77
yes but i can't find anything i have been researching for ages

Cuz you dunno how to use Bing?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=labour%20manifesto%201997&qs=ds&form=QBRE&pc=U316&=%25eManage%20Your%20Search%20History%25E
Tory sleaze
Reply 5
Original post by Crazed cat lady
Tory sleaze

Could you please elaborate on that?
Reply 6
:hi: not sure if you're aware of this but you regularly post your homework threads in the UK politics debate forum instead of the study help forum (i moved your thread now :h:). the forum you want for your politics homework is entitled Government and Politics.

:goodluck:
Reply 7
Major (his opponent) was mocked for being grey, uncharismatic and lacking control- he was also famously recorded calling some of his cabinet '*******s' and his party was divided into Europhiles and Eurosceptics. Blair, on the other hand, was seen as young, charismatic and energetic. Blair drove forward modernisation and abandoned old party policies such as nationalisation, tax increase and strengthening of trade unions (signified 'New Labour'). Constitutional reform also gave common ground with the Lib Dems so Lib Dem voters in marginal seats would vote for them. At the time of the campaign, the economy was also recovering from the recession but people remembered 'Black Wednesday' and refused to give the Tories credit for it. Financial and sexual scandals 'the sleaze' also showed Tory incompetence as well as the Cash for Questions affair.
Reply 8
Original post by Joleee
:hi: not sure if you're aware of this but you regularly post your homework threads in the UK politics debate forum instead of the study help forum (i moved your thread now :h:). the forum you want for your politics homework is entitled Government and Politics.

:goodluck:

Oh I am sorry I didnt know. Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by A.B72
Major (his opponent) was mocked for being grey, uncharismatic and lacking control- he was also famously recorded calling some of his cabinet '*******s' and his party was divided into Europhiles and Eurosceptics. Blair, on the other hand, was seen as young, charismatic and energetic. Blair drove forward modernisation and abandoned old party policies such as nationalisation, tax increase and strengthening of trade unions (signified 'New Labour'). Constitutional reform also gave common ground with the Lib Dems so Lib Dem voters in marginal seats would vote for them. At the time of the campaign, the economy was also recovering from the recession but people remembered 'Black Wednesday' and refused to give the Tories credit for it. Financial and sexual scandals 'the sleaze' also showed Tory incompetence as well as the Cash for Questions affair.

Thank you very much! Also, Lib Dems in the 1997 GE did very well. Would that show that Paddy Ashdown had the support of his whole party?
Reply 10
Original post by meli77
Thank you very much! Also, Lib Dems in the 1997 GE did very well. Would that show that Paddy Ashdown had the support of his whole party?

I would avoid using these exact words as party success is down to a variety of factors such as issues at the time, leadership, media. This may well have been a supporting reason but it could have also been down to other factors such as the media's positive perception of him etc
Reply 11
Original post by A.B72
I would avoid using these exact words as party success is down to a variety of factors such as issues at the time, leadership, media. This may well have been a supporting reason but it could have also been down to other factors such as the media's positive perception of him etc

Perhaps you should take that up with the person who set the homework rather than the poster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending