The Student Room Group

The end of working from home (remote work)

My company is now requiring us to return to office.

Can you adapt to it ? Will you quit your job if your employer mandates you to return to the office?

I find it hard to adapt after 2 years working from my home. Its not about the office, its about the commute time. Everything can be bought with money except time, and those time lost spent commuting can add up to a significant amount. Imagine if those can be used doing something you like , spending time with your pet, or your love ones... etc

discuss
Reply 1
If you could adapt from working at the office to home, then you can do the opposite.
Reply 2
Home is great

however.some days in Office are fine.
Original post by HucktheForde
My company is now requiring us to return to office.

Can you adapt to it ? Will you quit your job if your employer mandates you to return to the office?

I find it hard to adapt after 2 years working from my home. Its not about the office, its about the commute time. Everything can be bought with money except time, and those time lost spent commuting can add up to a significant amount. Imagine if those can be used doing something you like , spending time with your pet, or your love ones... etc

discuss

I have the option to work where I want, my supervisor doesn’t care & doesn’t check up on my hours or where I work from. I go the office almost every work day but will regularly do half the day in office, half at home.
If the company I work for mandated a full-week return to the office, I would leave without any shred of doubt. I know that I can get something better, somewhere else, where they will let me work in a way I'm comfortable to work. Employers are opening their eyes to this more as time goes on too, lots of job ads in my sector emphasise that they use true hybrid working but I realise this isn't something that's possible in every sector.

2/3 days a week is fine, but I have no intention of commuting and losing 2-3 hours every day, where I'm not paid and I'm relatively miserable. The question employers need to ask themselves is what perceivable, tangible benefit does office attendance actually bring to their people? Beyond the social aspect, I don't see one. That's their problem, it certainly isn't mine.
Reply 5
thank ****ing god
it was HELL. im so glad i'm no longer stuck with my boyfriend 24/7, and finally have the house to myself again while he's at work
In a lot of cases, working from home is passing the cost of estates from the employer on to the employee. I've worked with plenty of organisations whose capability and efficacy has completely fallen apart since working from home - which in many cases was entirely inappropriate.
Original post by Trinculo
In a lot of cases, working from home is passing the cost of estates from the employer on to the employee. I've worked with plenty of organisations whose capability and efficacy has completely fallen apart since working from home - which in many cases was entirely inappropriate.

I would happily bear that costs lol, i get to choose my own machine, my own desk, my own chair. I get to open music at full blast while working, even dance when i like...
Original post by mnot
I have the option to work where I want, my supervisor doesn’t care & doesn’t check up on my hours or where I work from. I go the office almost every work day but will regularly do half the day in office, half at home.

if you work half day for 5 working days you still spend the same amount of time at commuting...
Only a day a week or so in for me. Wouldn't be keen on a full week in, or indeed anything over 2 days... wouldn't add any value for the most part over and above what a day would.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by HucktheForde
if you work half day for 5 working days you still spend the same amount of time at commuting...

I know, i am willing to make the commute, I enjoy the walk, keeps me active (thats half the reason i go in tbh).
Original post by Elizabeth II
If the company I work for mandated a full-week return to the office, I would leave without any shred of doubt. I know that I can get something better, somewhere else, where they will let me work in a way I'm comfortable to work. Employers are opening their eyes to this more as time goes on too, lots of job ads in my sector emphasise that they use true hybrid working but I realise this isn't something that's possible in every sector.

2/3 days a week is fine, but I have no intention of commuting and losing 2-3 hours every day, where I'm not paid and I'm relatively miserable. The question employers need to ask themselves is what perceivable, tangible benefit does office attendance actually bring to their people? Beyond the social aspect, I don't see one. That's their problem, it certainly isn't mine.

I dont blame you at all,
I feel like I dont have enough experience yet to sort of set my own terms, I kind of needed any job just to get more experience as I've only had 2 design roles and a factory role before that.
I never worked from home when I was in the factory (for obvious reasons) and when I was promoted into the office it was the end of work from home guidance at the time when the majority of office staff were from home.
There was a return to mostly being in the office but I was not treated fairly in that role (not just the WFH but other things) so while everyone else got 2 days from home a week I was lucky to have 1. They would take that 1 away from me like the day before as well even though I had the most arduous commute out of everyone (they could all drive).
The job I have now is design but can't really be done at home, I dont mind so much at this stage in my life because I don't have my own place that I can make into a nice study (I have just a small bedroom) but the commute does annoy me even though its better than before.
My new employer is also more flexible in terms of working hours. We all do the same hours but have different start and end times, I got mine changed to miss rush hour more and suit the buses.
I just can't wait to hopefully pass my test in May and get a car :colondollar:

Sorry that was very long just to say I agree with you :biggrin:
Yeah right it's hard but also it's a good thing to wake up early, get dressed instead of staying in pajamas, see your colleagues, have a cup of coffee with one of your friends and many things that makes you prefer going to work instead of doing your work from home
Down to individual preference. A few days over a month is sufficient for me for going in to the office and realise the benefits thereof. Otherwise it's just sitting at a desk for the sake of it to have online meetings I could just as easily have from home. I work in a back office type role so the work does not require me to physically be in an office to perform it. The exception to this is occasional collaboration days and stakeholder meetings, but again, many are situated in other parts of the country/world.

It also takes more forward planning now since many roles are hybrid and not everyone I intend to work with will be in at the same time. So simply mandating some fixed amount of time in over and above what I need to reap some benefits of office working is a waste of my time, as well as the business's to be frank. It's down to how the employer implements it but my current one is fine, and the previous one was remarkably good at handling online collaboration and creating a sense of a team in spite of the remote work.

Some people require a high/constant level of face to face social interaction but I'm not one of those.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Can't do my job from home, so been in work as usual and don't have an issue with it. 5 day, 37 hour weeks, with an 80 minute round walk to and from! 😊
I love working non remotely. Not a fan of remote working

Quick Reply

Latest