The Student Room Group

Working remotely whilst on Tier 4 Visa

Hi Guys,
I have applied to study MSc in the uk , however, whilst studying I will be working remotely for my home country employer (up to 20 hrs) and will be getting paid in my home country (not in the UK) , I will be manintiang my expenses thrugh home country family maintenance trasnfers , would that be a problem for HMRC UK ? or would I preaching any laws by doing so ?
Thanks,
Original post by abbadi12
Hi Guys,
I have applied to study MSc in the uk , however, whilst studying I will be working remotely for my home country employer (up to 20 hrs) and will be getting paid in my home country (not in the UK) , I will be manintiang my expenses thrugh home country family maintenance trasnfers , would that be a problem for HMRC UK ? or would I preaching any laws by doing so ?
Thanks,

You need to scour the HMRC website for info. I think it's the case that if your country and the UK have a reciprocal tax agreement, then the money isn't taxable in the UK as long as you are paying tax in your home country. I don't know which countries were on this list and which weren't.

However, post covid, the rules may well have changed, as working remotely like this is much more common. It's not fundamentally illegal, and if there is a reciprocal tax agreement it's fine by HMRC - but you should check with them.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
You need to scour the HMRC website for info. I think it's the case that if your country and the UK have a reciprocal tax agreement, then the money isn't taxable in the UK as long as you are paying tax in your home country. I don't know which countries were on this list and which weren't.

However, post covid, the rules may well have changed, as working remotely like this is much more common. It's not fundamentally illegal, and if there is a reciprocal tax agreement it's fine by HMRC - but you should check with them.

Thanks,
I have reached out to the international admission as well and the confirm the same as long as I am within the window of 20 hours/week should be fine,,
Hope that this can be accomidated with the a full time mastres,,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending