The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Easy to make friends as a SOAS postgraduate student?

Hello there,

I'm strongly considering applying to do a Masters at SOAS this coming September, or one year soon. This is primarily for the course- I really want to study Development Studies and I believe the SOAS course and general ethos of the campus make it the best suited place for me.

However, I am also at the current stage in my life where I am growing less close to my undergraduate university friends. I was hoping that doing a Masters in a field I am interested in may also be a good chance to make some new friends, with some common interests.

However, do people tend to make strong friendships doing Masters courses at SOAS/is it easy and normal to make good friends? How might one increase the chances of this?

I have heard from other people at other universities that they struggled to make good friends as a postgraduate, as people don't see their classmates very often and do a lot of independent study. Plus the course is only one year long, so it doesn't lead to the same sort of strong friendships as an undergraduate course. Would people agree?

As a side note, I am planning to do a part-time Masters over two years, so I can take a bit longer to process all the information. On one hand, this may make things worse friends-wise as I may see classmates even less often and will be joining a whole new cohort the following year too. On the other hand, it would give me a bit longer at the university as a whole, so longer time to build friendships say with undergrads if I joined societies for example...

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd really appreciate hearing them :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ABCBA91
Hello there,

I'm strongly considering applying to do a Masters at SOAS this coming September, or one year soon. This is primarily for the course- I really want to study Development Studies and I believe the SOAS course and general ethos of the campus make it the best suited place for me.

However, I am also at the current stage in my life where I am growing less close to my undergraduate university friends. I was hoping that doing a Masters in a field I am interested in may also be a good chance to make some new friends, with some common interests.

However, do people tend to make strong friendships doing Masters courses at SOAS/is it easy and normal to make good friends? How might one increase the chances of this?

I have heard from other people at other universities that they struggled to make good friends as a postgraduate, as people don't see their classmates very often and do a lot of independent study. Plus the course is only one year long, so it doesn't lead to the same sort of strong friendships as an undergraduate course. Would people agree?

As a side note, I am planning to do a part-time Masters over two years, so I can take a bit longer to process all the information. On one hand, this may make things worse friends-wise as I may see classmates even less often and will be joining a whole new cohort the following year too. On the other hand, it would give me a bit longer at the university as a whole, so longer time to build friendships say with undergrads if I joined societies for example...

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd really appreciate hearing them :smile:

Hi there,

I'm Surabhi, a student at SOAS studying MA South Asian Studies and Intensive Language.

I was also one of those people who were worried about making friends. Moving to the UK was obviously a huge decision. But eventually, I found and made friends who have been the best support and component I could possibly have found. I am speaking from the point of view of a person who is also doing a two-year degree in SOAS. Here are a few things that worked in my favour:

1. Living in student accommodation - In student accommodation, you will come across different students pursuing different things and of all age groups. Depending on the kind of hall you choose you may even meet people from other colleges which would not just increase your networking skills but also the possibility of having more friends from diverse backgrounds.
2. Attending society events - some of the organised social events may not look or sound as appealing but it's your chance to meet more people. Have a look at the societies.
3. Taking chances - take chances. Move out of your comfort zone. Learn to say yes to exciting things and people. After all, moving to London to pursue your degree is also a chance you are willing to take. Be open to new experiences.

I just want to say don't worry about it. Even if it's a two-year degree and you feel you'll have to start the whole socializing process, you'll always find people you can be friends with and vibe with. It may seem daunting at first but London is one of the most welcoming cities in the world. I hope this helps.

Best of luck with your admission and application.

Surabhi
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending