The Student Room Group

GCSE Creative Subjects

Recently, at school, I had to choose my GCSE options, and I am quite happy with subjects such as business and food tech.

However, the school has said that every pupil must choose at least one art subject: graphics, drama, music or fine arts. I don't really think I am confident in any of these subjects and told my teachers - however they wouldn't negotiate.

Is there anything I can do? And is there a reason why the school wants all pupils to have a creative subject?
Original post by myfairlady390
Recently, at school, I had to choose my GCSE options, and I am quite happy with subjects such as business and food tech.

However, the school has said that every pupil must choose at least one art subject: graphics, drama, music or fine arts. I don't really think I am confident in any of these subjects and told my teachers - however they wouldn't negotiate.

Is there anything I can do? And is there a reason why the school wants all pupils to have a creative subject?

Get your parents to come in - no legal reason for it
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Get your parents to come in - no legal reason for it

Sorry! I forgot to mention that my dad came in to speak to the senior staffs about it however, to no avail :frown:

They kept saying that these subjects are made compulsory to help stimulate my brain more. I understand this but I just know that I will not be happy with these subjects!
Reply 3
Don’t you have dt or something, I’m doing that and it is 75% maths science and theory?
Reply 4
Doesn't Food tech count?
Original post by myfairlady390

in my opinion don’t do art or graphics if you can’t draw, if you have to do one, i’d say music or drama as an instrument can be learned and there’s written work and theory in music, and drama requires no skills at all to do as it develops your confidence and speaking, and there’s theory in drama (similar to english lit) so in my opinion i’d pick one of those two if there are no others to choose from. my personal opinion is to go for music because it’s very laid back and relaxed but you do need to learn an instrument

Quick Reply

Latest