The Student Room Group

Architecture degree

I don't do art a level, will this have an effect on applications for architecture at university?
Original post by 888ella
I don't do art a level, will this have an effect on applications for architecture at university?

Doing a creative A level helps as the majority of unis will ask for a portfolio of work as part of the application process, but it is possible to apply without art. Do you do any other creative subjects (photography, dt, product design, etc.) or do you draw/paint etc. in your own time?
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Doing a creative A level helps as the majority of unis will ask for a portfolio of work as part of the application process, but it is possible to apply without art. Do you do any other creative subjects (photography, dt, product design, etc.) or do you draw/paint etc. in your own time?

Yeah I did art GCSE and I'd say I'm pretty good at it, but wasn't sure if not doing it as a proper subject will make much difference or if all that matters is the portfolio at the end of the day.
Original post by 888ella
Yeah I did art GCSE and I'd say I'm pretty good at it, but wasn't sure if not doing it as a proper subject will make much difference or if all that matters is the portfolio at the end of the day.

A couple of unis require/prefer you to have art/creative subject at A level but the majority don't. If you don't take art, make sure you develop a range of pieces that you could include as different unis require different things. Try searching 'manchester uni architecture portfolio blogspot' to see some examples from applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending