The Student Room Group

Judicial Assistant 2022 Application

Scroll to see replies

May I ask which courts people applied to be a JA? :smile:
They just told me they'll get back 'soon'. Not sure how long 'soon' is but considering that interviews were still going on till Thursday this week, might be end of next week or some time in the week after that, I suppose?

I made a number of typos in the written assessment lol. The interview was okay for me - not great but not a disaster either. Good luck for your application!
Original post by regallegaleagle
Anyone get told when we would hear back?

Also hopefully your interviews went better than mine!
This was for the Court of Appeal :smile:
Original post by Pythian
May I ask which courts people applied to be a JA? :smile:
Original post by Orchid1527
This was for the Court of Appeal :smile:

Oh good luck. May I ask another question, you must be afforded a discretion in terms of which area of law?
Thank you! :smile:

The application itself is generally for the Court of Appeal Civil Division, so you can get any judge. At the interview, they do ask which areas of law you are most interested in so that they can pair you with a judge who does mostly that area, but every judge is likely to be involved in multiple areas and even judicial assistants might be required to work with more than one judge! So you cannot really choose, but I think they try to pair people according to their interests.
Original post by Pythian
Oh good luck. May I ask another question, you must be afforded a discretion in terms of which area of law?
They just told me they'll get back 'soon'. Not sure how long 'soon' is but considering that interviews were still going on till Thursday this week, might be end of next week or some time in the week after that, I suppose?

I made a number of typos in the written assessment lol. The interview was okay for me - not great but not a disaster either. Good luck for your application!

I had plenty of typos but given we only had 45 mins I'm sure they will understand!
Thank you! :smile:

The application itself is generally for the Court of Appeal Civil Division, so you can get any judge. At the interview, they do ask which areas of law you are most interested in so that they can pair you with a judge who does mostly that area, but every judge is likely to be involved in multiple areas and even judicial assistants might be required to work with more than one judge! So you cannot really choose, but I think they try to pair people according to their interests.

I see. Any legal questions? Do they give you a problem scenario or write an opinion or correct something?
We got some facts and the law given to us, and had to write an advice on 2 issues within 45 minutes. There were no legal questions for my interview, just some questions based on my CV, about my experience working in a team and then some questions about a case I had been given to read a week in advance and the advice I had written that morning.
Original post by Pythian
I see. Any legal questions? Do they give you a problem scenario or write an opinion or correct something?
I assume offers are out now. I've been put on the reserve list. Congrats to anyone who was successful. Does anyone know the likelihood of being given an offer as a reserve?
Hello everyone - have any incoming High Court JA's received clearance by now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending