The Student Room Group

best pens for exams

what would be the best pen to use in the exams? if you have any suggestions i'd prefer it to run smoothly, be ballpoint and not so expensive 😁 thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Go to a book or charity shop that sells pens. Or see if you can also buy one online. If your college stationery shop sells pens get one.
Original post by tinyperson
Go to a book or charity shop that sells pens. Or see if you can also buy one online. If your college stationery shop sells pens get one.

thanks for replying anyways but i kinda need a specific pen.......😔
Original post by baguettecrunch
thanks for replying anyways but i kinda need a specific pen.......😔

Pilot 0.7 blue ink gel.
uniball 207 micro gel pen in black ink

These work really well for me.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by magnetodespacito
Im pretty sure you have to use black ink ((:

They exist in black as well.
Reply 6
can't lie, I prefer the standard Papermate inkjoy. bog standard pen, but I always take like 3-4 to every exam, because the ink flow personally is less "satisfying" after using it for like an hour
Bic pens (BiC Cristal Original Ball Point Pen Pack of 10) - to be specific, are the best. As soon as I start to write with one, it's like the letters just form on it's own. Perfect for exams and the pens last for a long time. You can get them in black, blue and red.
Original post by Leslie Knope
Bic pens (BiC Cristal Original Ball Point Pen Pack of 10) - to be specific, are the best. As soon as I start to write with one, it's like the letters just form on it's own. Perfect for exams and the pens last for a long time. You can get them in black, blue and red.

These are excellent if you are right handed because you pull the pen across the page but the ink flows less easily for a left handed person who pushes the pen across the page. Inkjoy and ink gel work better for them.
The PaperMate Write Bros Classic 1.0 mm! I bought a pack back in 2019 and still use them, got me through a lot of rushed essays and long exams lol
I have found the Uni-Ball Eye UB-157 Black to be very good - very easy to write with.
Gel pens aren't recommended ...
Original post by Muttley79

Why? I was planning on using gel pens... :facepalm:Maybe I'll have to find a new favorite pen. :frown:
Original post by penguingirl18
Why? I was planning on using gel pens... :facepalm:Maybe I'll have to find a new favorite pen. :frown:

It's to do with scanning the papers ...
It's to do with scanning the papers ...

i was going to say that too bc i saw the jcq guidance and they said not to use gel pens
any pen youve been writing with a lot rn
will run smoother and you know the feel

i like bicc
I used to always use the Pilot Hitechpoint nice to use and you can also see how much ink is left. At school, it never used to be a problem, but at uni I was going through two or three over an exam season with heavy essay content, and you don't want to be left without.

A word on the traditional bic pens - you have to press a lot harder on the paper than with something like the Pilot / Uniball, which over the course of an exam session (if you are doing essays) can be very tiring on the hands / arms. This is apparently why fountain pens are supposed to be better for you (as you don't have to press down at all), but in reality the smudge factor is going to mean you'd be crazy to use a fountain pen in an exam nowadays.
Bro he literally asked for ballpoints
Reply 18

The regs used to tell you not to use a gel pen but they no longer do so.
Doesn't really matter what pen you use as long as its black and the ink is clearly visible

Quick Reply

Latest