The Student Room Group

handwriting

I'm in exam season right now and I find that I have to write fast in order to get the marks and grade that I need, but my handwriting starts to become illegible. I've taken all the tips from the internet and I've practised writing fast and bought a comfier, liquid gel pen (which have helped but to an extent).
My handwriting is still quite bad during exams and like I said before I literally don't have a choice but to write fast lmao so I'm kind of stuck
Does anybody have any tips? e.g. holding my pen a certain way or changing my handwriting (btw my handwriting is joined up and slightly small so I can write fast)
Use a biro, it won't smudge and get as illegible as a liquid gel pen
Original post by Jaffacake1212
Use a biro, it won't smudge and get as illegible as a liquid gel pen

I've tried that and it doesn't work
Hmm

I write badly when I write fast but I've always seen biros to work best.

I wouldn't worry about handwriting tbh as examiners are skilled at reading some horrific penmanship
Original post by Jaffacake1212
Hmm

I write badly when I write fast but I've always seen biros to work best.

I wouldn't worry about handwriting tbh as examiners are skilled at reading some horrific penmanship

Okay, thanks haha
I'm just praying my examiner isn't an old person or someone with sight issues or both. One of my teachers can read nearly everything but she couldn't read my exam so I got dropped down two grades because she couldn't mark some questions :/
If your handwriting is small make sure your pen is relatively narrow, eg most biros. Definitely something which dries quickly too to prevent (or at least significantly reduce) smudging.
Try and space your words out so it's at least clear where different ones end. Other than that just try and be as careful with timing as you can, obviously you'll still be getting stressed towards the end but try and minimise it as much as you can. They're pretty good at deciphering what people have written but obviously there are some limits!
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by furryface12
If your handwriting is small make sure your pen is relatively narrow, eg most biros. Definitely something which dries quickly too to prevent (or at least significantly reduce smudging).
Try and space your words out so it's at least clear where different ones end. Other than that just try and be as careful with timing as you can, obviously you'll still be getting stressed towards the end but try and minimise it as much as you can. They're pretty good at deciphering what people have written but obviously there are some limits!

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by fivestarmichelin
Okay, thanks haha
I'm just praying my examiner isn't an old person or someone with sight issues or both. One of my teachers can read nearly everything but she couldn't read my exam so I got dropped down two grades because she couldn't mark some questions :/

Oof that is harsh

But I wouldn't worry too much in all honesty, these examiners read so many different types of handwriting every year that at this point they're like experts in reading

Good luck :smile:
In that case you have to literally change your writing. Practise changing how you form your letters to make them clearer and do a lot of random writing at home to get into the habit of switching so that it soon becomes permanent. And also practise writing them clearly at speed, it's the only real way. The last thing you want to do is lose loads of marks because the examiner couldn't read it, or annoy the hell out of them because they're really straining to decipher your hieroglyphs.
Reply 9
Original post by fivestarmichelin
Okay, thanks haha

omg I was literally panicking about this earlier!!!! My teacher always said 'improve your handwriting' and sometimes my grades would be good but sometimes it wouldn't so I'm literally overthinking just like you :,)))
Reply 10
hii usually if your handwriting seems to be illegible or hard to read during exams you can be provided with a laptop to type instead, you’ll have to talk to a teacher or the exam office about it though
Yeah I agree try and space it out a bit. Also, if you had time you could try change your handwriting a bit so that some letters are individual letters and not joined up. It might make it easier to read. The other thing is (sorry if I don’t explain it well and it only works for longer words) try make the start of the word clear but tail off towards the end. I found that as long as the start of the word is pretty clear the examiner can guess what it is and how it fits in the sentence so the last few letters or so (depending on the word length) can be as scribbled as you want. It saves a bit of time!
Original post by ihytasha
hii usually if your handwriting seems to be illegible or hard to read during exams you can be provided with a laptop to type instead, you’ll have to talk to a teacher or the exam office about it though

yeah i was thinking about that, but the thing is my normal handwriting is good (like loads of people have complimented my normal handwriting styles lmao) so if i get a computer then they'll probably be thinking wtf... she was probably faking the bad exam handwriting so i don't want to risk anything
also on our computers we're not allowed autocorrect, which will be even more of a nightmare :/
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
In that case you have to literally change your writing. Practise changing how you form your letters to make them clearer and do a lot of random writing at home to get into the habit of switching so that it soon becomes permanent. And also practise writing them clearly at speed, it's the only real way. The last thing you want to do is lose loads of marks because the examiner couldn't read it, or annoy the hell out of them because they're really straining to decipher your hieroglyphs.

yeah that's what i've tried as well and i've realised that my handwriting right now is the best i can do :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
omg I was literally panicking about this earlier!!!! My teacher always said 'improve your handwriting' and sometimes my grades would be good but sometimes it wouldn't so I'm literally overthinking just like you :,)))

good to know i'm not alone omg 😭😭
Original post by hazeloriana
Yeah I agree try and space it out a bit. Also, if you had time you could try change your handwriting a bit so that some letters are individual letters and not joined up. It might make it easier to read. The other thing is (sorry if I don’t explain it well and it only works for longer words) try make the start of the word clear but tail off towards the end. I found that as long as the start of the word is pretty clear the examiner can guess what it is and how it fits in the sentence so the last few letters or so (depending on the word length) can be as scribbled as you want. It saves a bit of time!

yeah i've tried with the joined up thing unfortunately haha, but the last part omg i did not think about! that's smart 😭 thanks!! hopefully it will help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending