The Student Room Group

urgent revision help

hey everyone!

it’s roughly 4 weeks until gcses and after deciding to focus on my mental health more, i have not revised at all and now don’t really know what to do; do i still have enough time?

my march mock results were as follows
bio (h) 9
chem (h) 9
phy (h) 9
math(h) 8
english lang 9
english lit 8
geography 9
sociology 8
rs 7

i really want to get the same grades in my actual gcses but i’m scared that it’s not enough time. for mocks, i just watched videos and did past papers but i don’t know if this is going to work for these exams especially with so little time… any tips?
Original post by cyberclouds
hey everyone!

it’s roughly 4 weeks until gcses and after deciding to focus on my mental health more, i have not revised at all and now don’t really know what to do; do i still have enough time?

bio (h) 9
chem (h) 9
phy (h) 9
math(h) 8
english lang 9
english lit 8
geography 9
sociology 8
rs 7

i really want to get the same grades in my actual gcses but i’m scared that it’s not enough time. for mocks, i just watched videos and did past papers but i don’t know if this is going to work for these exams especially with so little time… any tips?

Hi
TL;DR: no need to panic, as soon as you plan it out you'll be okay, yes you can't cover everything but you should be able to cover the most important topics and get a decent grade.

1. Start revising today and time it - how much did you get done?
2. Use this time to plan the remaining time left - e.g. you got through 2 topics today, so set this as the minimum amount you'll get done.
3. You will not be able to cover everything so cover the most important topics first (which you'll know from the topics that always come up in past papers etc). You may need to focus on the most important subjects.
4. Plan every hour of every day, even the time you'll eat, and stick to it (the hardest part)!! But you'll be surprised how much you can get done. You may need to get up earlier but it will be worth it - don't waste a minute.
5. Also, focus on the revision techniques that help you the most. I used to draw images and spider diagrams as these allowed me to test myself, cement knowledge etc. Also start sticking buzz cards/papers around the house and test yourself regularly, eg bedroom door, bathroom door front door etc.

Hope these tips help.

Good luck!
Reply 2
thank you so much, you are a life saver!!
Original post by cyberclouds
hey everyone!

bio (h) 9
chem (h) 9
phy (h) 9
math(h) 8
english lang 9
english lit 8
geography 9
sociology 8
rs 7

i'm having the same problem. i haven't revised at all and your mock results are my goals but im 2/3 grades away currently. i really want to get into my dream college with these grades but we've barely got time and im spending more time worrying about them then actually revising. im just so lazy and cant commit 10 minutes when i sit down to try
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by leilaremak
i'm having the same problem. i haven't revised at all and your mock results are my goals but im 2/3 grades away currently. i really want to get into my dream college with these grades but we've barely got time and im spending more time worrying about them then actually revising. im just so lazy and cant commit 10 minutes when i sit down to try

Oh, one key tip @cyberclouds. Get rid of all the social media from your devices (you can download them again after your exams). The notifications are insanely distracting.
Also, set a timer (eg 1hr) and try to stick to it, do not do anything else. For that 1hr, revision is the ONLY thing that matters. See how long you can focus. and give yourself a 10 min break after - plan what you want to do in your break (maybe a few press-ups - try and increase every break or read a book etc whatever you can enjoy in 10 mins) instant (healthy) rewards help you work harder! Note that if you find you can only focus for 10-40mins then work for that time religiously and then take breaks in between. The more you do this the more time you'll be able to spend working. I went from only being able to focus for 30-40mins to 1.5 hours at uni.
Distractions get the better of us sometimes, but as soon as you realise you're distracted: STOP, and get back on the grind, set a 10min timer if that's all you can manage (@leilaremak no shame in that at all, it's better than 0mins!), and then have a planned 5 min break, keep going through this and the work you're doing will pile up in no time (in 1 hour you'll have done 40mins of work [...if my maths is correct])!
If you're revising videos on youtube for that 1 hour, remember that the videos to the side or on the front page are not for now but during your break (and make sure to time your breaks so you don't overshoot them).

Hope this helps you guys, good luck!
PS I'm getting distracted now lol... I'm trying 1hr timers and for the last ten mins I've ended up on student room! smh... And on that note... I better get back to it!
PSS I'm actually going to remove my bookmark for this website now lol!

Quick Reply

Latest