The Student Room Group

How do you deal with stress in a stressful household

Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well.

I was just wondering how you would deal with stress when you live in a household just brimming with trouble and issues. For context, I have A-levels pretty soon, and my father is forcing me to revise exactly how he wants me to do it (ie following a timetable HE'S made without any of my input or asking [what's even worse is that I don't really work well with timetables, but I can manage]). Now that would be fine if I could get at least some quiet to revise, but every single day I hear my parents watching TV at pretty high volumes, my sisters screaming, and my father just talking quite loud (I've closed all doors and I can still hear him, and I live in a decently sized house so that's saying something ;-:wink:.

As well as all that I've developed some kind of discount insomnia where I can go to sleep perfectly fine but I wake up randomly at ridiculously early times like 3 or 4am without feeling rested at all. I'm going to get that checked out though, but being tired and having to deal with all of this makes me a bit snappy, and of course that just makes the cycle of stress a bit worse. I've tried a few different ways to relax like excercising, listening to music or reading, but nothing seems to work.
Sorry if I'm coming off a bit self centred here haha

Thanks in advance!
Why don’t you go to the library or café to revise. That way you follow your revision schedule and not one devised by your father and you avoid a stressful environment.
You can get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending