The Student Room Group

Do I need to write about the question which is already there for the 8 marker?

ENGLISH NAT 5 SQA
Guys ik it’s late but see for the Scottish texts (poetry) do I need to write/link the 8 marker to the question asked or can I just use whatever theme I want

Eg - the question on the 8 marker for the exam is on childhood
But can I just link the poems on change?

Help please 🙏🙏
(edited 1 year ago)
tell me more
Reply 2
Original post by tinyperson
tell me more

okay This is an example question from 2017 war photographer (8 marker)

“By referring to this poem and to at least one other by Duffy, show how the idea of people suffering painful experiences is a feature of her poetry”

So when u move on to the commonality, Pif and nif can I just use a different theme, not the one from the question. Like instead I would link the poem to another theme like isolation in this case

(Sorry if the question doesn’t rlly make sense)
Original post by 2022user
okay This is an example question from 2017 war photographer (8 marker)

“By referring to this poem and to at least one other by Duffy, show how the idea of people suffering painful experiences is a feature of her poetry”

So when u move on to the commonality, Pif and nif can I just use a different theme, not the one from the question. Like instead I would link the poem to another theme like isolation in this case

(Sorry if the question doesn’t rlly make sense)

No. Refer to the original question or use it to form your entire response to the exam question. Make sure to pay close and careful attention to the total number of marks given for the whole question here. Be sure to do a complete comparison or detailed analysis of the central themes of both of the studied poems in question. You need to talk about the ways in which Duffy manages to influence the reader to feel sorry for her as well as discuss the different yet effective poetic techniques too.
Explore how the author aims to provoke emotion in any readers of her published works. Also it is a good idea to refer constantly back to the set question as you write your answer. Use your class notes additionally for extra and increased impact to help you to get a decent mark overall in English. Best of wishes and you can totally do this. I find that highlighting key parts of the poems using different colours helps me to remember what to do in order to gain a high mark.
Reply 4
Original post by tinyperson
No. Refer to the original question or use it to form your entire response to the exam question. Make sure to pay close and careful attention to the total number of marks given for the whole question here. Be sure to do a complete comparison or detailed analysis of the central themes of both of the studied poems in question. You need to talk about the ways in which Duffy manages to influence the reader to feel sorry for her as well as discuss the different yet effective poetic techniques too.
Explore how the author aims to provoke emotion in any readers of her published works. Also it is a good idea to refer constantly back to the set question as you write your answer. Use your class notes additionally for extra and increased impact to help you to get a decent mark overall in English. Best of wishes and you can totally do this. I find that highlighting key parts of the poems using different colours helps me to remember what to do in order to gain a high mark.

thank you!! I really appreciate it, good luck to you too if you have exam :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending