The Student Room Group

STILL GETTING Us 3 WEEKS BEFORE ALEVELS

I am 3 weeks away from my exams

I do bio chem and maths

I am a south Asian girl

I am so f @ $ £ ed

So for context, I got mostly 9s and 8s for GCSEs. Now i am failing my alevels.
I got my most recent mocks back. EUU were the grades. I was targeted 3 A* in year 12 and i got predicted ACD due to poor performance. I applied fot biological science foundation course at QMUL which requires 3 Cs. I need ABB to look my parents in the eye. They spend £9,360 on private tutors since I was year 6 to prepare me for these final exams.

What went wrong:
- year 12 and lockdown. Developed procrastination habits. On phone 12hrs a day. Watched movies YouTube tiktok all day. Didnt prepare for sixth form at all.
-started with 4 alevels. Did physics at the start. Got cocky and thought i can handle 4 alevels since i did amazing at GCSEs.
- with the surprise decline in grades in yr 12, mental health declines. Stressed, cutting, thought of taking my life. Couldn’t even eat. Lost 10kg from stress.
- got therapy. Therapy helped 3 months. Then became relative and felt like i was saying I will do things at home that i was never going to do. Either I became numb or i pretended to improve and stopped therapy.
- start of yr 13. Had my first experience with talking to a boy and spent 6 months wasting my time talking him. Obsessed and attached, didnt do any work at all during those days as i was distracted by him. Still failing exams but it didn’t have an effect on me anymore because i am used to it. End of 6 months, we end up blocking each other so that was a waste of time.

Then now i am here. With 3 failed alevels to my name. Exams in 3 weeks. My parents thinks I am on track for As, everyone expecting As. I cant get my self to work. Even procrastinating now.

Anyone relate…
Hey I completely understand your struggle. Girl I'm in a similar position as you, I study A level maths.

Rn we can't look at the past and what we didn't do. I spoke to my maths teacher panicking and here's what I'm doing from the convo.

Go through the each past paper and learn form answering the questions. If you can't answer a question identify the topic and use resources to help you answer it e.g. a video or textbook. As you answer the questions write down on a piece of paper every step you forgot or stumbled over so you can look over it the night b4 the exam.
This has really helped me for maths so hopefully its some help to you.

I'm not sure if this will work for bio or chem as I've never studied them. Maybe the past paper method would work either way with a mix of anki flashcards or quizlet?
Reply 2
Original post by pinkpanther679

I do bio chem and maths

I am a south Asian girl

I am so f @ $ £ ed

I got my most recent mocks back. EUU were the grades. I was targeted 3 A* in year 12 and i got predicted ACD due to poor performance. I applied fot biological science foundation course at QMUL which requires 3 Cs. I need ABB to look my parents in the eye. They spend £9,360 on private tutors since I was year 6 to prepare me for these final exams.

What went wrong:
- year 12 and lockdown. Developed procrastination habits. On phone 12hrs a day. Watched movies YouTube tiktok all day. Didnt prepare for sixth form at all.
-started with 4 alevels. Did physics at the start. Got cocky and thought i can handle 4 alevels since i did amazing at GCSEs.
- with the surprise decline in grades in yr 12, mental health declines. Stressed, cutting, thought of taking my life. Couldn’t even eat. Lost 10kg from stress.
- got therapy. Therapy helped 3 months. Then became relative and felt like i was saying I will do things at home that i was never going to do. Either I became numb or i pretended to improve and stopped therapy.
- start of yr 13. Had my first experience with talking to a boy and spent 6 months wasting my time talking him. Obsessed and attached, didnt do any work at all during those days as i was distracted by him. Still failing exams but it didn’t have an effect on me anymore because i am used to it. End of 6 months, we end up blocking each other so that was a waste of time.

Then now i am here. With 3 failed alevels to my name. Exams in 3 weeks. My parents thinks I am on track for As, everyone expecting As. I cant get my self to work. Even procrastinating now.

Anyone relate…

i am also a south asian girl LOL i do feel you but tbh i wasnt always a smart kid still not icl got 5-7s in my gcses but rn ive been on track. hopefully ABB is what ill get bc its what i need at least. i also failed in yr 12 with UCD in chem media and biology and yr 13 with EEC chem bio and media but got my ucas to BBB. ill tell u now i did NOTT revise at all lol i thought a levels were a walk in the park and i didnt learn from my yr 12 results at all which i regret but im starting to see a change now

honestly i do like fall back every now n then but i keep telling myself its only till 24th of june thank goddd not too far away

the way im revising i think we got told for bio and chem we know what topics are coming up and i do ocr b for chem, ocr a for bio and baso just printed out the spec points needed for each of my 3 exams for bio and chem and ive finished annotating them too. this way i see the things i really have got to know and i do go over everything else but not in this much detail. i havent started this yet but im using study minds and my schools resources to get exam questions for each topic and im kindve only j starting to understand the mark schemes in bio. the maths in chem im still terrible at but its getting there i hope :/

i completely understand how u feel btw i feel so unmotivated at times but ive gotten a timetable not structured for like my topics etc but the times i study and have breaks and ill be honest havent always been sticking to it but somedays i just need a break and i do lowkey revision

https://kuizical.com is a really good website for lowkey revision

i hope this helped and im glad im not the only one feels good but we can pull thru just for this last month and then we'll be free <33 !!

I do bio chem and maths

I am a south Asian girl

I am so f @ $ £ ed

What went wrong:

Anyone relate…

Heya! Sounds like you've had a very rough time :frown: Hope things will turn around for you soon!

To begin with, I would recommend looking into your revision technique - is it effective? I would really recommend making yourself a small timetable poster or diary for the next 3 weeks and sort out days for which you will dedicate studying e.g. Monday is chemistry, Tuesday is biology and etc. I would also colour code the material/notes e.g. chemistry would be blue for me, biology green and etc.

GCSE and A-levels are quite different, so perhaps you need to relook your revision tehcnique you used during GCSEs. Personally I am a practical learner (you can google different types of learning styles and see which one fits you the best) so I would spend most of my time doing past papers and focusing on topics I was really struggling on. Here is a link to free past papers which could help you as they are seperated by topics. Identify which topics you struggle on and try focusing on them during your revision :smile: I would also recommend having yourself do mocks under 'exam conditions' and then critically marking yourself and take a note of why you lost marks in a certain question. Have a little notebook by your side and put anything you didnt know/lost marks in there!

Personally to stay focused and keep myself motivated I do 'power revisions' where I study without distraction for 1-2 hours and then take a 25min break and continue studying like that until I get to 4-5hrs of revision time. That way you should be able to stay focused while rewarding yourself with a small mental break so you don't overwork. You have to be very strict with yourself and put all the distractions away and have a proper timer on you to time yourself! If it helps, here is free resources and revision tips that could help you out with your revision!

Have you also considered 1-1 tutors? If it would help, I can recommend this 1-1 Tutoring Page where you can get a personalised 1-1 help with subjects that you struggle with (of course if you wish!).

Hope this helps and good luck! There is still time for you to revise and I believe you can make it :smile:
Milena G.
Study Mind

I do bio chem and maths

I am a south Asian girl

I am so f @ $ £ ed

What went wrong:

Anyone relate…

honestly it feels so good to know im not alone in this.
Like the procrastination part, i feel you!!!! Like i have my first exam on the 23rd and i legit have spent the last few days just doing nothinggg.
It was the lockodwns that killed my motivation too

I also got pretty decent gcses, and i thought id sail thorugh sixth form (boy i was wrong)
E.g got an 8 in sociology, - took it at alevel and i legit havent got a grade above a C (and i had notes in front of me for that assessment...)

I need an ABB for my desired uni and i legit dont know how i will achieve that. I have got my revision methods down, i know how to revise its just actually getting up and doing said revision.

But yeah, thanks for writing this and i wish you all the best!!

I do bio chem and maths

I am a south Asian girl

I am so f @ $ £ ed

What went wrong:

Anyone relate…

South Asian boy here lmao. It seems like there’s a lot of pressure on you to succeed due to a host of factors, and this has ingrained in you that your self-worth equates to what grades you get. So first off, regardless of the grades you achieve (be it triple A*s or triple Us), you are still a person deserving of respect and no less than anyone else - so try your best to show some compassion to yourself.

I’ve been in a similar boat to you: bunking lessons to bun with my ‘friends’, wasting time with a girl who wasn’t worth ****, procrastinating on insta, ps4, etc. Eventually I failed and now I’m resitting this June. Like somebody else said, the past does not matter - don’t spend an extra minute dwelling on something you cannot change. Focus on the future which, unlike the past, ISN’T set in stone.

We all fall and have **** thrown at us in life. What matters now is that you try your very best. Nothing is ever too late with hard work. Anyone (your parents included) who cannot accept you because of ****ing letters on a page were never good people to begin with.

You will find your way. Just bang out for now.
Original post by CA_5713
South Asian boy here lmao. It seems like there’s a lot of pressure on you to succeed due to a host of factors, and this has ingrained in you that your self-worth equates to what grades you get. So first off, regardless of the grades you achieve (be it triple A*s or triple Us), you are still a person deserving of respect and no less than anyone else - so try your best to show some compassion to yourself.

I’ve been in a similar boat to you: bunking lessons to bun with my ‘friends’, wasting time with a girl who wasn’t worth ****, procrastinating on insta, ps4, etc. Eventually I failed and now I’m resitting this June. Like somebody else said, the past does not matter - don’t spend an extra minute dwelling on something you cannot change. Focus on the future which, unlike the past, ISN’T set in stone.

We all fall and have **** thrown at us in life. What matters now is that you try your very best. Nothing is ever too late with hard work. Anyone (your parents included) who cannot accept you because of ****ing letters on a page were never good people to begin with.

You will find your way. Just bang out for now.

I'm the same I need AAA and I'm on A* on micro econ but C in macro and DD in maths and chem. I'm scared for maths not even chem and econ. Chem I would honestly advise. Take 2 weeks all out to learn the content which I did and then the next 2 weeks just bang out past papers go from midway of the unit papers and all of the new spec. I don't know at all if I can get that D to an A in maths in the next 3 weeks. I'm honestly for maths doing madasmaths cus the beginning of his textbok style pdfs goes through the basics and the more you go down the harder it gets. Then doing PMT questions. I need an A ffs i don't know how either.
Heya! I know it may seem impossible now but I'm sure with enough hard work and practice you'll make it :smile: Try following advise i gave earlier in above post! It really helped me during my revision (and still does to this day)! For economics I would really recommend having a template which you can write at the beginning of your exam ( I did econ, maths, bio and chem). My teacher taught me E.C.O.N.O.M.I.C.S template. Half of the word was micro and the other was macro :smile: Each word stood for an important topic (forgot exactly which ones by now!). I would always draw it out during my economics essay and follow it through, using it helped me get higher marks and not forget anything while writing. I would suggest asking your teacher or googling the template!
For chemistry you need to practice a lot! If you need extra help with practice for chemistry, here is a link to free past papers and free revision notes and much more, just explore the website as there are tons of free resources or extra courses that can help you out! i would also recommend doing some extra research on topics you don't really understand! For maths here are top tips on how to score a high mark!
Hope this helps and good luck as well!
Milena G.
Study Mind
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest