The Student Room Group

Do I need to mention I am in university in UCAS application?

Hi, I have to join a university this year (2023) but am also planning on resitting my a levels alongside. I want to move to a better university in 2024 if I get the grades required but am afraid that already being enrolled in a university would affect my chances of being offered a place. Btw I am okay with restarting from year 1 as this specific course does not allow transfers. I have seen that you cannot lie and say that you're not currently enrolled in a university, when you are. However my university starts at October 5th, so if i send the UCAS application before then could I say that I am just taking a gap year?

I know that most of you will say that universities don't care if you are enrolled in one already, but my course is highly competitive, I don't think they would like that as I have no other excuse (other than the fact I want to go to a better uni) for moving universities. I don't want to take the risk and it also brings a lot of hassle as I'd have to explain why etc etc.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, you are required to declare all attempted qualifications, including university level study. This is mandatory, you do not get to choose whether you declare this. Failure to declare your current study can lead to your application being cancelled by UCAS as fraudulent, any universities you have offers from being free to nullify those offers, and UCAS can exclude you not only from this application cycle but future application cycles as well.

Whether or not you apply before or after the start date of the course is irrelevant, you will still be on the course during the application cycle and the end date of the course is after or during the application cycle.

As previously stated, you should never start a degree you do not intend to finish.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, you are required to declare all attempted qualifications, including university level study. This is mandatory, you do not get to choose whether you declare this. Failure to declare your current study can lead to your application being cancelled by UCAS as fraudulent, any universities you have offers from being free to nullify those offers, and UCAS can exclude you not only from this application cycle but future application cycles as well.

Whether or not you apply before or after the start date of the course is irrelevant, you will still be on the course during the application cycle and the end date of the course is after or during the application cycle.

As previously stated, you should never start a degree you do not intend to finish.

But what if I send the application the next few weeks but am still not 100% sure if I want to go to uni this year, because that is kind of my case. My uni would start at October the 5th and I want to send it I'd say the next two weeks to get it over and done with, along with my portfolio. I am still uncertain if I should go against my mother and take a gap year, or attend the university. Could I not just say I am not currently enrolled in a university, as that would be the truth at the time?
Original post by Student_2024
But what if I send the application the next few weeks but am still not 100% sure if I want to go to uni this year, because that is kind of my case. My uni would start at October the 5th and I want to send it I'd say the next two weeks to get it over and done with, along with my portfolio. I am still uncertain if I should go against my mother and take a gap year, or attend the university. Could I not just say I am not currently enrolled in a university, as that would be the truth at the time?

Why are you applying so early?

It might be true at the point of application but you declare when applying that you have provided everything requested (a full education history and all qualifications) AND that you will amend your details if your situation changes.

So if you enrolled on the degree after applying then you would need to amend your qualifications using the UCAS online form to add your pending university credits.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Hi, I have to join a university this year (2023) but am also planning on resitting my a levels alongside. I want to move to a better university in 2024 if I get the grades required but am afraid that already being enrolled in a university would affect my chances of being offered a place. Btw I am okay with restarting from year 1 as this specific course does not allow transfers. I have seen that you cannot lie and say that you're not currently enrolled in a university, when you are. However my university starts at October 5th, so if i send the UCAS application before then could I say that I am just taking a gap year?

I know that most of you will say that universities don't care if you are enrolled in one already, but my course is highly competitive, I don't think they would like that as I have no other excuse (other than the fact I want to go to a better uni) for moving universities. I don't want to take the risk and it also brings a lot of hassle as I'd have to explain why etc etc.

This is a terrible plan.Stand up to your mother and take a gap year This year will put you in £20,000 student debt plus if you are retaking you should put your whole energy into that.You are the one who will be paying it off for forty years not her
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
This is a terrible plan.Stand up to your mother and take a gap year This year will put you in £20,000 student debt plus if you are retaking you should put your whole energy into that.You are the one who will be paying it off for forty years not her

My mother said that she'll pay for the fees and I will be living at home but still I really don't want to go lol
My mother said that she'll pay for the fees and I will be living at home but still I really don't want to go lol

(I liked this post accidentally, I agree with the above, it’s a really poor plan.)

Is your mum aware you’ll be compromising both your undergrad and retake performance by trying to do both simultaneously?
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
(I liked this post accidentally, I agree with the above, it’s a really poor plan.)

Is your mum aware you’ll be compromising both your undergrad and retake performance by trying to do both simultaneously?

Yeah she doesn't care and she thinks it's easy, despite the fact that i am studying architecture. I want to be able to study this in a better university as I know I can do better but she ig she doesn't believe me or something?
Reply 8
Yeah she doesn't care and she thinks it's easy, despite the fact that i am studying architecture. I want to be able to study this in a better university as I know I can do better but she ig she doesn't believe me or something?

You cannot do both a degree and resit - it's crazy. Take a gap year and get some work experience - it's your life.

How many AL’s did she retake alongside her undergrad studies?

The failure rate for architecture first year is around 10%. It’s pretty much the worst course for students to fail in first year and need to repeat.

Add on the extra pressure of making competitive applications and perfecting multiple portfolios and attending interviews and revising and resitting A levels and you’re setting yourself up for failure.

It’s really none of her business what you decide to do. At some point she has to start treating you like an adult.

Saying she’ll pay an extra year’s fees is a phenomenal waste of money
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
You cannot do both a degree and resit - it's crazy. Take a gap year and get some work experience - it's your life.

She said she'll kick me out or take away my stuff what should i do then?
Reply 12
How many AL’s did she retake alongside her undergrad studies?

None, she didn't even do her a levels from this country so she is clearly underestimating it lol
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
The failure rate for architecture first year is around 10%. It’s pretty much the worst course for students to fail in first year and need to repeat.

Add on the extra pressure of making competitive applications and perfecting multiple portfolios and attending interviews and revising and resitting A levels and you’re setting yourself up for failure.

It’s really none of her business what you decide to do. At some point she has to start treating you like an adult.

Saying she’ll pay an extra year’s fees is a phenomenal waste of money

Is it ranked one of the highest in fail rates? Wow, I didn't even know that. There's no way I am going to be able to do the course and retake my alevels. I already hate my life, I have many other things going on mentally I could barely handle my alevels alone. That's part of the reason I didn't get the grades I wanted.
Is there a teacher from wherever school/college you went to for A Levels that could help mediate in a conversation with your Mum?
Reply 15
She said she'll kick me out or take away my stuff what should i do then?

Even if your end of first year exams are in fact portfolios to complete, how are you going to manage juggling A level revision, and uni work, as well as the possibility that any uni exams might clash with A level resits? Which one would have priority?
(edited 7 months ago)
None, she didn't even do her a levels from this country so she is clearly underestimating it lol

Perhaps you could point out to her that you underperformed when just doing your AL's by themselves?
Reply 17
Original post by sailhorsegirl
Is there a teacher from wherever school/college you went to for A Levels that could help mediate in a conversation with your Mum?

No i don't think so unfortunately. She's truly the worst mother ever she won't let me get a job and make my own money, she took away my phone, i feel helpless and so agitated. I just need money to be able to leave this house but theres no way I can make some. And i feel as if she is trying to sabotage my future/life for some reason ):
Reply 18
Original post by Euapp
Even if your end of first year exams are in fact portfolios to complete, how are you going to manage juggling A level revision, and uni work, as well as the possibility that any uni exams might clash with A level resits? Which one would have priority?

I think I would just put less effort on the course knowing that I would get a chance to restart the year in my new university. Also shouldn't I prioritse my alevels? To get that out of the way.
Reply 19
Perhaps you could point out to her that you underperformed when just doing your AL's by themselves?

I did, she thinks it is because I was lazy and thinks I am just not going to revise the entire year which is definitely not the case. The 1/2 months leading to my alevels which are the most prime months was where I screwed up and became distracted elsewhere. I 100% know I will do good this year but she doesn't believe me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending