The Student Room Group

Getting from a 5 -> 6 in maths within a week

Last mocks I was 5 marks of a 6, I'm positive I'll get the 6 this time.

But, just to be safe, any quick tips to save marks?

P.S. doing exam questions already
Hi,

It's great to hear that you're doing exam questions because that is, in my opinion, the best revision method for maths. If you're not doing so already I strongly recommend just mainly focusing on areas that you most commonly lose marks on.
On top of that I'd say to get to know the mark schemes really well. Like find out for the larger questions what the marks are awarded for, which types of questions tend to have method marks, etc.
And also you might have heard this already but SHOW YOUR METHOD. Doing that has saved me losing so many marks in my end of term exams because a lot of the time there are marks for showing your method, and you can get them even if you get the final answer wrong.
Finally when you're doing the questions pay attention to any units and how you're supposed to round your final answers, as you sometimes have to convert units before calculating, and the question may ask you to round your answer to a particular significant figure/decimal place.

Hope this has helped, feel free to ask any other questions about this! :smile:
Original post by aspiringdoktor77
Hi,

It's great to hear that you're doing exam questions because that is, in my opinion, the best revision method for maths. If you're not doing so already I strongly recommend just mainly focusing on areas that you most commonly lose marks on.
On top of that I'd say to get to know the mark schemes really well. Like find out for the larger questions what the marks are awarded for, which types of questions tend to have method marks, etc.
And also you might have heard this already but SHOW YOUR METHOD. Doing that has saved me losing so many marks in my end of term exams because a lot of the time there are marks for showing your method, and you can get them even if you get the final answer wrong.
Finally when you're doing the questions pay attention to any units and how you're supposed to round your final answers, as you sometimes have to convert units before calculating, and the question may ask you to round your answer to a particular significant figure/decimal place.

Hope this has helped, feel free to ask any other questions about this! :smile:

Thanks! I'm gonna have to start properly going over my exam at the end
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
keep doing what you're doing I guess. exam questions really are the way in maths (and most subjects for that matter)

what I always find useful, is doing a few full length papers, collating the marks in a spreadsheet by question and topic. You'll be able to see which topics you are constantly losing marks on. From that you can focus on doing targeted exam questions, there's no reason to keep practicing circle theorems if you are consistently getting high marks on those questions. Especially with one week to go the most important thing is focusing on weak spots.

For what it's worth you can 1000% get to a 6 especially if you were only 5 marks off. I've known people go from 5 to 9 in a week genuinely, (myself included)
Original post by jan33
keep doing what you're doing I guess. exam questions really are the way in maths (and most subjects for that matter)

what I always find useful, is doing a few full length papers, collating the marks in a spreadsheet by question and topic. You'll be able to see which topics you are constantly losing marks on. From that you can focus on doing targeted exam questions, there's no reason to keep practicing circle theorems if you are consistently getting high marks on those questions. Especially with one week to go the most important thing is focusing on weak spots.

For what it's worth you can 1000% get to a 6 especially if you were only 5 marks off. I've known people go from 5 to 9 in a week genuinely, (myself included)

Nice! I'll definitely do that - thanks for the advice!
Original post by radicaledward
Nice! I'll definitely do that - thanks for the advice!

(👍)

Quick Reply

Latest