The Student Room Group

Official: King's College London A101 EMDP 2023 Entry Applicants and Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BoomBoxBeitch
Sorry- I don't want to keep this thread on a loop, but should I apply to EMDP despite having the predicted grades for A100?
I am an access student who will be predicted 45/45 distinctions (getting those 45 Ds is a different story), which would allow me to apply to A100, however my UCAT isn't king's competitive- 2690 B2.

Hi there ! No worries don’t feel sorry - your ucat is below average but for the EMDP foundation year mostly people with 2400-2600 should realistically apply AND if they are below the A*AA predicted grades - since your grades and fully predicted I suggest perhaps either looking into A100 to see if they will give you special consideration like my friend last year or perhaps consider St. George’s uni of London as they will take you with your grades .... it’s better not to risk it and have a safe option if you get what I mean !!! And you should use your strengths of your full predictions in places such as Exeter who only interview people with fully predicted grades - it’s worth a shot :smile: hope this helped you ❤️
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 61
Original post by BoomBoxBeitch
Sorry- I don't want to keep this thread on a loop, but should I apply to EMDP despite having the predicted grades for A100?
I am an access student who will be predicted 45/45 distinctions (getting those 45 Ds is a different story), which would allow me to apply to A100, however my UCAT isn't king's competitive- 2690 B2.

Its much harder to get into A101, you need to be in care, come from a poor background etc
Reply 62
Be more worried about meeting the entry requirements for this course, for example being in care. Someone with a 1790 UCAT go into this course in 2019 and my sister who got 2240 got in during the 2020 cycle. This course isn't aimed at people who have amazing grades and UCAT scores its aimed at the disadvantaged.
"Applicants from schools with low attainment
Applicants from low participation areas as determined by ACORN* and POLAR
Participants of Realising Opportunities
Participants who have completed King’s K+ or Medview programmes
Applicants who are care experienced
Applicants with other widening participation backgrounds"

This is what you are aiming for, not a 3000 ucat.
Can someone please provide proof such as by email or otherwise about KCL EDMP rejecting people because of their predicted grades being good enough for A100? It isn't mentioned, like it is in HYMS A101, that you'd be rejected if your predicteds were too high on the site.

I just want to make sure I'm not being misinformed by some people in this thread, and making sure people aren't jumping to conclusions because they thought those with 3A* applying to EDMP were rejected because of their predicted grades. My A-level, GCSE, and UCAT are irrespective of the contextual data I'm associated with, and just because I happen to get better grades doesn't necessarily mean I don't qualify, unless they've explicitly said so.
Original post by nitro5
Its much harder to get into A101, you need to be in care, come from a poor background etc

I meet the contextual requirements
Original post by techwiz12345
yes exactly !!! i know so many who had a high ucat and a levels and actually got rejected bc it was too high !!!
- its a foundation year programme for a reason and the admissions always look at that !

So for those people you knew - were they explicitly told as the reason for their EDMP rejection, by the university itself: their grades were too high?

It literally says in the 2022 posts for EDMP people have gotten interview with grades over AAA. For people reading this and unsure if their grades are "too high" just call/other contactl KCL; I would recommend telling people to go ask KCL themselves then telling people not to apply or to apply elsewhere just because they have higher grades, as it's misinformative. Thanks.
(edited 1 year ago)
Anyone know how Kings EMDP use personal statement? Thanks sm
Original post by Upbeat8392
So for those people you knew - were they explicitly told as the reason for their EDMP rejection, by the university itself: their grades were too high?

It literally says in the 2022 posts for EDMP people have gotten interview with grades over AAA. For people reading this and unsure if their grades are "too high" just call/other contactl KCL; I would recommend telling people to go ask KCL themselves then telling people not to apply or to apply elsewhere just because they have higher grades, as it's misinformative. Thanks.

Hi there - In no way am I being misinformative - Kcl have literally said it themselves - at the end of the day if you have the grades for the normal a100 course AND a high ucat then you shouldn't be wasting an option here as the admission team were not born yesterday - they can tell when someone is taking advantage of a course which is meant for people who don't have the grades for medicine or the ucat .. If someone has A*aa prediction but a low ucat between 2300-2600 then they could compensate for that ... All we are saying is from experience, as well as receiving feedback from last year, that you need to make sure you actually fit the requirements or it will be a wasted option !
And yes actually my predictions changed from AAA to A*A*A and they told me that my high predictions 'didn't fit the criteria' for that specific course which is why I should've applied to the a100 as well as the fact that they have more spaces
Please do not misinterpret what I am saying as I have done extensive research myself and accusing me and others of anything other than this is just wrong ( we've been through this ourselves and have received feedback so want to share it with potential students so if you do not want our advise then you shouldn't really be asking for it on a student room !!)
@techwiz12345 I completely agree with you too !!!!! Last year I was actually predicted higher at A*A*A* and they told me the SAME thing. They told me even though I for some criteria my grade predictions were too high which I thought was so unfair but it is what it is I guess - where are you thinking of applying this year ? I’m thinking kings A100 - Queen Mary too and st George’s Uni .
And to people thinking of applying here , it’s actually true you need to have either low ucat or low a levels of ABB . The people who got in last year with above AAA had a low ucat !!! Be careful guys
Can someone please provide proof such as by email or otherwise about KCL EDMP rejecting people because of their predicted grades being good enough for A100? It isn't mentioned, like it is in HYMS A101, that you'd be rejected if your predicteds were too high on the site.

I just want to make sure I'm not being misinformed by some people in this thread, and making sure people aren't jumping to conclusions because they thought those with 3A* applying to EDMP were rejected because of their predicted grades. My A-level, GCSE, and UCAT are irrespective of the contextual data I'm associated with, and just because I happen to get better grades doesn't necessarily mean I don't qualify, unless they've explicitly said so.

I totally agree with you and I said the same thing on this thread a few days ago. I think the problem with the student room is that its alot of people who we know nothing about and have no experience in the admissions field yet think its okay to tell people to apply elsewhere. IMO the fact you have high grades and a high UCAT would make you more likely to get into the EDMP as it shows that youve come from a disadvantaged background but worked hard enough to get over average scores but people on here seem to think differently-even though no evidence has been provided!!!

I have no experience to draw on and this is my first time applying to uni so i cant really give advice however I would reccomend contacting KCL themselves and speaking to your teachers at college who will have much more experience that a lot of the people offering you "advice" in this thread.

Furthermore, the fact that they assume having high grades and UCAT means your not disadvantaged is disgusting and prejudice and they did the same thing to me-they literally said this course wasnt for me because I had high grades and UCAT. Its disgusting and often times TSR ends up making you feel like **** and I think that the people on here offering "advice" need to realise that they arent just advising people on what colour shirt to wear etc they are giving them "advice" on something that will literally determine the course of their life.

Sorry for the ranting at you im just glad someone else was brave enough to say something that I'm sure many people are thinking. Im going to email KCL about this myself and will be posting their response in this thread :smile:
Original post by techwiz12345
Hi there - In no way am I being misinformative - Kcl have literally said it themselves - at the end of the day if you have the grades for the normal a100 course AND a high ucat then you shouldn't be wasting an option here as the admission team were not born yesterday - they can tell when someone is taking advantage of a course which is meant for people who don't have the grades for medicine or the ucat .. If someone has A*aa prediction but a low ucat between 2300-2600 then they could compensate for that ... All we are saying is from experience, as well as receiving feedback from last year, that you need to make sure you actually fit the requirements or it will be a wasted option !
And yes actually my predictions changed from AAA to A*A*A and they told me that my high predictions 'didn't fit the criteria' for that specific course which is why I should've applied to the a100 as well as the fact that they have more spaces
Please do not misinterpret what I am saying as I have done extensive research myself and accusing me and others of anything other than this is just wrong ( we've been through this ourselves and have received feedback so want to share it with potential students so if you do not want our advise then you shouldn't really be asking for it on a student room !!)

JUST STOPPP!!! they arent taking advantage of the course and they clearly fit the eligibillity for the course or they wouldnt be asking about applying. They are allowed to ask for clarification considering youve supplied no evidence to back up what youre saying and they can accuse who they want of what they want as this is a choice that will have a great impact on their life.
Original post by 24456Goo
@techwiz12345 I completely agree with you too !!!!! Last year I was actually predicted higher at A*A*A* and they told me the SAME thing. They told me even though I for some criteria my grade predictions were too high which I thought was so unfair but it is what it is I guess - where are you thinking of applying this year ? I’m thinking kings A100 - Queen Mary too and st George’s Uni .
And to people thinking of applying here , it’s actually true you need to have either low ucat or low a levels of ABB . The people who got in last year with above AAA had a low ucat !!! Be careful guys

I think @techwiz12345needs to take a leaf out of your book. You offer helpful advice drawing on your own and others experience whereas they just attack people. Thanks for actually being a helpful person :smile:
Hi guys be very careful when apply to kcl because it was actually traumatic applying for 2022 entry, they told us more interviews were being given out when there weren’t and most ppl were still thinking they’d get interviews after the ucas deadline because kcl said they were still giving them out, also most ppl got an auto rejection from ucas and it was draining waiting from October 2021 to May 2022 to be rejected automatically :frown: keep in mind this course has very few spaces compared to the standard a100 medicine and so even if you get an interview the chances of an offer are not great. If you have low predicted grades and ucat go for it but if you have good grades you can try other unis like Keele, Plymouth, Aston, UEA , QUB which have low ucat requirements .
Original post by Riley123456
I think @techwiz12345needs to take a leaf out of your book. You offer helpful advice drawing on your own and others experience whereas they just attack people. Thanks for actually being a helpful person :smile:

Awww no worries ! Let’s all be kind on here - we have to help each other out on here ( I personally recommend if you are stuck a ucat between 2300-2600 as suggested by many other last year and this year will be better as this is meant for people with below the ‘normal’ requirements for medicine x ) !!!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Im not applying to KCL anymore im gonna do edinburgh but tbh the advice you get from A100 and A101 are conflicting. I got 2760 B1 and was told its like barley enough for A100 but then I was told its too high for A101
Original post by 24456Goo
Awww no worries ! Let’s all be kind on here - we have to help each other out on here ( I personally recommend if you are stuck a ucat between 2300-2600 as suggested by many other last year and this year will be better as this is meant for people with below the ‘normal’ requirements for medicine x ) !!!!
The moral of the story emphasises KCL's holistic take on applications, I guess:

While some have been rejected for having predicteds higher as techwiz and goo have mentioned, it is not a clear-cut case and people have been invited to interview much higher than the grades required such as A*AA; there is no cause-and-effect related to having high predicteds because it does not automatically guarantee rejection, there's only a correlation - as techwiz said themselves: "If someone has A*aa prediction but a low ucat between 2300-2600 then they could compensate for that"; and as goo said "The people who got in last year with above AAA had a low ucat !!!" probably because they didn't satisfy A100 UCAT "cutoffs".

This suggests a clear indication though, that you should probably not apply to EDMP if you satisfy all entry requirements and ucat cutoff for a100 as the course is primarily to widen access - hence the grade requirements are traditiionally lower and you'd be better off applying to A100. Just having good a-levels doesn't guarantee you satisfy all the shortlisting requirements for a100 though, and would still make EDMP the better option, so those with good predicteds can't be accused of taking advantage of the course without knowing more.
(edited 1 year ago)
I see what your saying and again -unlike techwiz-you explained your answer and provided reasoning why you think this. You are also not being dissmissive or agressive in the way you say it and your not making any assumptions of the relationship between someones grades and their contextual status. Theres always a good and polite way to explain something and techwiz just doesnt seem to understand that.Ty for explaining:smile:
The moral of the story emphasises KCL's holistic take on applications, I guess:

While some have been rejected for having predicteds higher as techwiz and goo have mentioned, it is not a clear-cut case and people have been invited to interview much higher than the grades required such as A*AA; there is no cause-and-effect related to having high predicteds because it does not automatically guarantee rejection, there's only a correlation - as techwiz said themselves: "If someone has A*aa prediction but a low ucat between 2300-2600 then they could compensate for that"; and as goo said "The people who got in last year with above AAA had a low ucat !!!" probably because they didn't satisfy A100 UCAT "cutoffs".

This suggests a clear indication though, that you should probably not apply to EDMP if you satisfy all entry requirements and ucat cutoff for a100 as the course is primarily to widen access - hence the grade requirements are traditiionally lower and you'd be better off applying to A100. Just having good a-levels doesn't guarantee you satisfy all the shortlisting requirements for a100 though, and would still make EDMP the better option, so those with good predicteds can't be accused of taking advantage of the course without knowing more.
Reply 77
Original post by Tinyy7
Anyone know how Kings EMDP use personal statement? Thanks sm

They will question you on multiple parts of your PS
Literally just spoke to admissions. They don’t have a “preference” for those with lower predicted grades. As long as you meet them, you’re fine.
Icl, a lot of this is just speculation and isn't true. Admissions aren't going to 'not favour' you for having higher than needed predicted grades. Nowhere does this say this, and if you look at FOIs and this thread for 2022 entry, there are plenty, if not, the majority of people getting interviews with >A*AA. This isn't a foundation year or gateway year either, it is to support state schoolers. Unlike Bristol, Hull York, Leeds etc, you start learning MEDICINE from the first year, not fundamentals to biology and chemistry. It is just a graduated entry where you get half the load in first year, and the second half in the second.
People mostly apply to this course when they've flopped their UCAT because it requires a much lower one to get an offer.
A perk of this course is that, as I say, it's a graduated entry, and people may prefer this course for that reason rather than having the typical pressures of content in first year.
So in all, I don't think it's fair to dissuade people who have high predicted grades from applying. They won't be at any disadvantage. Let's just all support each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending