The Student Room Group

self discharge from camhs

I'm 16 and currently receiving treatment for anorexia at camhs.

It was useful for a few weeks, as I was being held accountable and had to improve, and since then I've been steadily getting a lot better, to the point where I'd say my food issues are minor - I'm at an ordinary weight, and more importantly my mindset is way better.

The thing is, I've still got lots of sessions left at camhs, and every time I go to an appointment, it actually makes me feel worse - I feel as though I'm getting better too quickly, and that they diagnosed me by mistake because all the other patients I see there are still struggling, and because my therapist says things like 'that's unusual' when I'm describing extreme hunger etc. I also find the focus on weight every week very negative - when I don't have to face it every week the whole process is a million times easier.

Can you self-discharge from camhs at 16? I don't think my therapist would, as we haven't had that many sessions, but after the appointment every week I feel myself sliding backwards.

I would appreciate any responses.
I would speak to them. It depends how serious it is and whether there duty of care overshadows you wanting to self discharge. Even if it feels like it isnt working the proffesionals have to safeguard you and probably cannot just let you go like that. Good luck though
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest