independant and dependant variables

Watch
This discussion is closed.
papz_007
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
twomorrow i have my skill A for biology. I cant get my head around independant and dependant variables.

We got told to have at least 5 independant variables and have some dependant variables

wat dos that mean ?
lukeD
Report 15 years ago
I don't do biology so this might not be very helpful...

Independent variables are the factors in an experiment which you control e.g. how much mass you attach to the bottom of a spring

Dependent variables are the measurements you take (they 'depend' on the controlling factors) e.g. how much the spring extends by
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So in biology, in order to get meaningful results you must take at least 5 measurements. For example, if you are measuring the rate of an enzyme at different temperatures, the dependent variable is the temperature as you are controling what temperature to do the experiment at - so you need to choose a range of at least 5 different temperatures at which to measure the rate (the independent variable).
papz_007
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
so if measurin the rate different substrate concentration and i did 1cm^3 2cm^3 3cm^3 4cm^3 and 5cm^ that would be 5 different independent variable values ... wat about the dependant variable? wat would that be?
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the rate is the dependent variable in that case as you are controlling the substrate concentration
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (116)
25.95%
Better than expected (92)
20.58%
Worse than expected (239)
53.47%

Watched Threads