The Student Room Group

Making a complaint about the university

I am seriously considering making a formal complaint about my university, and am just wondering if any of you think I am being trivial and shouldn't bother, or if there is reason for complaint.

I don't know what my coursework titles are for a certain module. Three seminars in a row were missed so I couldn't talk to the tutor myself: first he was ill, second it was reading week and third ill be on holiday. So I emailed him and left a message on his uni office answerphone asking for him to send the questions to me, or let me know where I could find them. He didn't reply. A couple of days passed, still nothing - i email again and then again yesterday. Nothing. There is never an answer on the phone. The deadline is the 20th November and I leave for Egypt on wednesday. I rang the Uni asking if anyone knew his timetable so I could find hum myself and they didn't know.

Also, I wasn't sure how to use the online library to find some lit. reviews we were meant to do, so I asked my lecturer for help. He told me not to ask "how to" questions.

I'm seriously annoyed and confused. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Complain, you've tried, but going on holiday to Egypt isn't really a good reason to miss uni, now, is it?
Reply 2
Do you not know other students on your course which you can ask?

As for the library thing, why not go into the real library and ask for help there, as they would be the best people to ask for help with their system or what ever.
Reply 3
leeming
Do you not know other students on your course which you can ask?

As for the library thing, why not go into the real library and ask for help there, as they would be the best people to ask for help with their system or what ever.

I dont talk to anybody at my university for various ****** reasons so don't know who is on my course or not

Yeah, i asked the librarian and got it done! haha
Reply 4
surely you could just ask someone else on your course?
Reply 5
excuse me, I dont know what I am doing. Could you email me the questions and I will read them on my reply from my holiday in Egypt..... PUSSY!!!!
Reply 6
kat2pult
Complain, you've tried, but going on holiday to Egypt isn't really a good reason to miss uni, now, is it?

anything is a good reason to miss uni if you're at westminster:wink:
Reply 7
Maths Genius
I dont talk to anybody at my university for various ****** reasons so don't know who is on my course or not

Yeah, i asked the librarian and got it done! haha

So you dont talk to nobody at all on your course, and you decided to go on holiday during term time?

I some how dont think your complaint will be considered much if you do complain
Reply 8
leeming
So you dont talk to nobody at all on your course, and you decided to go on holiday during term time?

I some how dont think your complaint will be considered much if you do complain

I don't think it matters how my social life is going, to be honest they can't put blame on me for not having any friends can they?

I booked the holiday in April and come on, I didn't think missing one week of uni would fail me for life. If I had the questions I would've done the coursework and it wouldn't have mattered at all
Reply 9
Maths Genius
anything is a good reason to miss uni if you're at westminster:wink:

Well played, well played.
Reply 10
who would you make a complaint to... ?
Also three were not missed, only one was missed. You should of emailed asking for the question.
Reply 11
layla_1234
Also three were not missed, only one was missed. You should of emailed asking for the question.

Three were missed.

I did...four times, in fact. And an answerphone message! I'm not sure of the etiquette for harassing tutors...:o:
layla_1234
Also three were not missed, only one was missed. You should have emailed asking for the question.

:wink:
Reply 13
Dave_McDougall
:wink:

Is it supposed to say had? I kind of type how I speak... I am also at an ex-polly. xxx
Maths Genius
I don't think it matters how my social life is going, to be honest they can't put blame on me for not having any friends can they?

I booked the holiday in April and come on, I didn't think missing one week of uni would fail me for life. If I had the questions I would've done the coursework and it wouldn't have mattered at all

Why are you spewing rhetoric? The university is obliged to provide you with a way of getting these questions you need, and it has done so. You are refusing to attend the seminar. It'd be rather nice of the tutor / whoever to give you the questions by some other means, but don't think you're entitled to it - they can't force him to check his emails / answerphone more than he does, and maybe he's ignoring you because he doesn't want to be bothered by someone who can't be arsed to attend his seminar. Alternatively, maybe he will give you the questions on the day of this third seminar which you're missing, and doesn't feel it's fair to give you them earlier than everyone else.
Reply 15
generalebriety
Why are you spewing rhetoric? The university is obliged to provide you with a way of getting these questions you need, and it has done so. You are refusing to attend the seminar. It'd be rather nice of the tutor / whoever to give you the questions by some other means, but don't think you're entitled to it - they can't force him to check his emails / answerphone more than he does, and maybe he's ignoring you because he doesn't want to be bothered by someone who can't be arsed to attend his seminar. Alternatively, maybe he will give you the questions on the day of this third seminar which you're missing, and doesn't feel it's fair to give you them earlier than everyone else.

No love. He haven't because I don't have them do I? He wasn't at the seminar, then there wasn't a seminar, and yes I am fully aware it is my fault I won't be in the next one. The deadline is on the 20th November so everybody has the questions anyway. I'd hardly say a holiday is the same as not being arsed to get out of bed. Thanks for your er, help, anyway.
Reply 16
how did everyone else get the questions?
Reply 17
I don't know. I literally don't have a clue. I've looked for them all over the uni's online learning bit and can't see them, even though that's where all the other titles are.

So should I just leave it?
Reply 18
If you know that everyone else has the questions, you will be able to find out what they are from them. I don't understand what the problem is...
Reply 19
James
If you know that everyone else has the questions, you will be able to find out what they are from them. I don't understand what the problem is...

The deadline is in 10 days, and in 3 days i won't be here for a week-

I don't know who is on my course!

Latest

Trending

Trending