The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

overturning a rejection?

I've been rejected from UCL is there any way to email them and ask why they've rejected my application or if there is a chance to reconsider?
Do you know anyone who's tried to email them and then got accepted?
Original post by stitch_
I've been rejected from UCL is there any way to email them and ask why they've rejected my application or if there is a chance to reconsider?

On UCAS, they state the reason for rejection - so I would look at that before making any contact.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by JA03
On UCAS, they state the reason for rejection - so I would look at that before making any contact.

where do i find that, on UCAS it just says you've not received an offer, your application has either been unsuccessful, withdrawn or full
Original post by stitch_
where do i find that, on UCAS it just says you've not received an offer, your application has either been unsuccessful, withdrawn or full

Click onto your UCAS Hub. To the unsuccessful applications, click it so you view your unsuccessful applications and it should say ‘view reason’ somewhere. It will say why you were rejected.
Reply 4
Original post by JA03
Click onto your UCAS Hub. To the unsuccessful applications, click it so you view your unsuccessful applications and it should say ‘view reason’ somewhere. It will say why you were rejected.

Ohhh ok got it thank you!
I've heard of some international students somehow managing to overturn a rejection by sending an email/letter stating why they should get the offer ie more of their achievement and passion etc, kinda like a more passionate PS, you could try but I've only seen couple successfully done and they were international so they do pay higher fees to unis (remember unis still want money)
Reply 6
Original post by Carrotsroom
I've heard of some international students somehow managing to overturn a rejection by sending an email/letter stating why they should get the offer ie more of their achievement and passion etc, kinda like a more passionate PS, you could try but I've only seen couple successfully done and they were international so they do pay higher fees to unis (remember unis still want money)

Oh really, that does sound interesting! I'll look into that, would i just have to email their admissions team? The money part is very true, but at this point i just wanna give it a shot even if it doesn't end up working
Original post by Carrotsroom

UCL maintains about 50/50 international/domestic student population and achieves about £90 million profits a year. So for what they set as their international student quota, I actually think they are doing very OK for money. The acceptance rates for various courses can be found here (I only recently discovered this https://www.admissionreport.com/university-college-london )

So I don't think it will be a positive outcome to appeal as UCL rejects far more than they issue offers.

This is from UCL's website - after decisions

Your application will not be reconsidered

Due to the strong competition for places, every year we have to disappoint many good students who meet the minimum entry requirements for a programme.

If you are unsuccessful, we will provide you with feedback on UCAS Track. Due to the high number of applications, we can’t provide further feedback to applicants.

Applications are not reconsidered.

You are welcome to re-apply in the next UCAS cycle, for the following September intake. Your application will not be disadvantaged and will be considered alongside next year’s applicants.

UCL does not typically take part in UCAS Clearing.

Appeals and complaints

Decisions are final and normally there is no right of appeal.

We can only consider complaints relating to applications when there is substantive evidence of irregularity in the applications process procedure.

If a formal complaint is made, any complaint concerning an undergraduate application should be addressed to the Faculty Tutor (in the case of the Faculty of Laws or The Bartlett, UCL Faculty of the Built Environment), or to the Director of Access & Admissions in all other instances.

If the complaint is against the Faculty Tutor or the Director of Access & Admissions, it should be addressed to the Registrar.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by stitch_

UCL is not worth overturning a rejection for.
Reply 9
Original post by BubblesBB
UCL maintains about 50/50 international/domestic student population and achieves about £90 million profits a year. So for what they set as their international student quota, I actually think they are doing very OK for money. The acceptance rates for various courses can be found here (I only recently discovered this https://www.admissionreport.com/university-college-london )

So I don't think it will be a positive outcome to appeal as UCL rejects far more than they issue offers.

This is from UCL's website - after decisions

Your application will not be reconsidered

Due to the strong competition for places, every year we have to disappoint many good students who meet the minimum entry requirements for a programme.

If you are unsuccessful, we will provide you with feedback on UCAS Track. Due to the high number of applications, we can’t provide further feedback to applicants.

Applications are not reconsidered.

You are welcome to re-apply in the next UCAS cycle, for the following September intake. Your application will not be disadvantaged and will be considered alongside next year’s applicants.

UCL does not typically take part in UCAS Clearing.

Appeals and complaints

Decisions are final and normally there is no right of appeal.

We can only consider complaints relating to applications when there is substantive evidence of irregularity in the applications process procedure.

If a formal complaint is made, any complaint concerning an undergraduate application should be addressed to the Faculty Tutor (in the case of the Faculty of Laws or The Bartlett, UCL Faculty of the Built Environment), or to the Director of Access & Admissions in all other instances.

If the complaint is against the Faculty Tutor or the Director of Access & Admissions, it should be addressed to the Registrar.

Thank you for this!! I was going to try and email them, but if there's no chance of them reconsidering then I'd rather just go with my other options. :smile:
Original post by BlibberBlabber
UCL is not worth overturning a rejection for.

Why do you say that? just asking out of interest, is it because its unlikely for them to change their decision or is it something to do with the uni itself?
Original post by Anonymous
Why do you say that? just asking out of interest, is it because its unlikely for them to change their decision or is it something to do with the uni itself?

I go to UCL and don't like it the lecturers are stuck up and bullies.For me it's not about the learning it's more about your looks.
Oh I'm sorry to hear that, that's kinda what I'm nervous about too. I'm thinking of joining Imperial and I've heard people are really competitive there, all I'm hoping for is to make a few really good friends
Reply 13
hi, i know it’s been a while but did you ever end up appealing? i got a kings rejection a few days ago very quickly after i sent off my application, that too with achieved grades which makes me confused as to how they rejected me so quickly. there’s no admin errors or anything but i still feel like i deserve a second chance, so what did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending